Dendroboard banner

Screen vents

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  konton 
#1 ·
Hey guys Im looking to install some vents in some grow out tubs that I just picked up.
Since the tubs have a seal built into the lid they are airtight and fruit fly proof. So I figured i would install No-See-Um mesh using a wire grommet.
Unfortunately the grommets I found are all wrong. So Im wondering if anyone can tell me exactly where they acquired theirs and what exactly Im looking for as far as product name.

Thanx,

Todd

#5 ·
Hot glue works better to hold in place over time. I've had silicon come loose over time.

If you just want some mid-sized vents, use a hole saw of the diameter you want and then cut the mesh a little wider than the hole and hot glue it into place and trim so it looks neat (if it matters).

If you want a larger vent or a square instead of a circular vent use a dremel to cut out the vent shape you want.

Ed

Reactions: basket
#11 ·
Justin: Are the snap in grommets the ones they use for putting wire through a desk top & how did you apply the screen? I know the arachnid guys have really cool looking vents in their tanks but I have never been successful in finding out where they get them.
Thanks
Brian

#14 ·
What's tbis? The thread to my post working with these is here:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...stom-glass-ikea-bookshelf-vivarium-build.html

There are pretty small. The hole I drill is only an inch, and the opening is only 3/4" in diameter. They are for my 10 and 15 gallon tanks. I got them off ebay $12.99 with shipping for 100. I see the prices have gone up online, but you get the idea:
3/4" I.D. X 1" O.D. SNAP GROMMET - 100PK | eBay

My 35 gallon tank build by tropical ecos, had 2.5" snap-in grommets for top venting:

Great tank! I just took the idea and miniaturized it with a hinged front, stronger magnetic latch, and lower vents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.