Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of screen is best to cover the false bottom? I found some at home depot made out of aluminum and some made out of fiberglass. The aluminum worries me becasue it is metal, and metal usually rusts. The fiberglass worries me because I don't know if it is safe under the wet conditions of a vivarium. I also found some really expensive PetScreen. I don't remember what it is made out of, but it looks more "plastic/rubber" then the other two. Thanks for any help.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
go with the fiberglass, the aluminum won't "rust" being that is not ferrous, but it could leach aluminum into the water which is most likely not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
That's correct. A metal has to have iron in it to rust (such as steel). Aluminum doesn't. I'm sure everyone has seen pop cans that have been left outside long enough to be faded from the sun. But they never rust.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rust resistance is one of the reasons it is used in planes, as well as its light wait and its cheapness.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
But its still very hard to use in a situation like this, which is why everybody uses fiberglass. Fiberglass is more like cloth and easier to mold into the area you are using. About the only downfall fiberglass has to aluminum is that adult crickets can chew through it, but that shouldn't be a problem here!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a suggestion; try weedblock, its like a plastic lining type thing.

(anyone else use this? opinions on it?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts