Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two screen top tanks that formerly housed dwarf monitors that I'd like to use (eventually) for PDFs. One is a 40 gallon and the other is a 60 gallon, both brooders. The tops is all screen, and the sides of the top have grooves where the screen slides in. What's the best way to cut down on the ventilation? First I thought about having a piece of glass cut to slide in and not use the lids, but that would leave a gap in the front since the front trim is on the lids. Then I thought about buying a piece of glass or plexiglass and siliconing it to the top of the screen, but decided that it might grow alge on the screen. Then I thought about siliconing it to the bottom, but was worried that the piece might come loose and fall in the tank. Which is best? If none, then feel free to suggest something else. The big one I plan on using for my leucs once they get to be adults.

Went to my storage locker today and did an inventory of my different tanks:

45 gallon tall (was thinking about using this one for thumbs later)
40 gallon brooder (tincs, maybe)
37 gallon cube (for my azureus later)
55 gallon standard (undetermined)
2 20 gallon longs (undetermined)
3 10 gallon standards (undetermined)

That's not including the 40 and the 60 gallon screen tops, which are both at my place along with a 20 gallon standard. My parents think I have an aquarium fetish.

G

·
well

I really dont think it will be a problem, I have a screen top on my tank. I had a piece of plastic paying around (im sure what its real use is supposed to be) but i cut it to fit around my light fixture. I have my light on top of the tank and then the plastic covers the rest of the screen. It seems to work fine, i still have good ventalation and keeps good humidity.

G

·
I construct a screen to fit about 4-5" along the front of my tank and use glass for the rest. this way when I feed all i have to do is lift the front screen part. It allows good ventilation in the tank and clears up the front glass. All you have to do is take apart the screen you have and cut it. If you need spare parts go to home depot.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
You could take the current lid and then order finer screen, and glass to silicon ontop of it. The normal screen lids will let ff's out and they will drive you nuts. I would do 90/10 (glass/screen), you can get 60x60 per inch mesh here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Arklier said:
I've got two screen top tanks that formerly housed dwarf monitors that I'd like to use (eventually) for PDFs. One is a 40 gallon and the other is a 60 gallon, both brooders. The tops is all screen, and the sides of the top have grooves where the screen slides in. What's the best way to cut down on the ventilation? First I thought about having a piece of glass cut to slide in and not use the lids, but that would leave a gap in the front since the front trim is on the lids. Then I thought about buying a piece of glass or plexiglass and siliconing it to the top of the screen, but decided that it might grow alge on the screen. Then I thought about siliconing it to the bottom, but was worried that the piece might come loose and fall in the tank. Which is best? If none, then feel free to suggest something else. The big one I plan on using for my leucs once they get to be adults.

Went to my storage locker today and did an inventory of my different tanks:

45 gallon tall (was thinking about using this one for thumbs later)
40 gallon brooder (tincs, maybe)
37 gallon cube (for my azureus later)
55 gallon standard (undetermined)
2 20 gallon longs (undetermined)
3 10 gallon standards (undetermined)

That's not including the 40 and the 60 gallon screen tops, which are both at my place along with a 20 gallon standard. My parents think I have an aquarium fetish.

G

·
the screen I use is from fabricland. It is called mesquito mesh and it works perfict for me. Its also not very expensive and probily close by.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to go with covering the entire surface with plexiglass, with possibly a small door. I went down to Lowe's, and was somewhat daunted by the price of the plexiglass large enough to fit my 48" screen. Then I saw the scrap bucket, and managed to find two pieces that were just right. So instead of having to pay $15 - $45, I only had to pay $1 each! I'm not worried about warpage, because my fixture has 4 incandescent fixtures I'm going to use for coil lights, and 1 flourescent fixture. Hopefully, this won't generate too much heat, and the plants will love it.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
aer you putting it over the screen top? If so thats fine, if not it will warp and fast. The heat and humidity just don't mix, some people have even had 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch warp enouhg to lose frogs. Just a thought.

Arklier said:
I decided to go with covering the entire surface with plexiglass, with possibly a small door. I went down to Lowe's, and was somewhat daunted by the price of the plexiglass large enough to fit my 48" screen. Then I saw the scrap bucket, and managed to find two pieces that were just right. So instead of having to pay $15 - $45, I only had to pay $1 each! I'm not worried about warpage, because my fixture has 4 incandescent fixtures I'm going to use for coil lights, and 1 flourescent fixture. Hopefully, this won't generate too much heat, and the plants will love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts