Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome build. I've been wanting to build a terrarium for a while just to chicken to mess something up. Howd you you make the glass tank? Building material and sizes? Thanks! Also on the tank you may want to replace some of those bigger plants with smaller ones. It'll give your tank a more natural look.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, tnx for your comment.

The tank is built using the same techniqe as when u build a fishtank, glass is 6mm (scrap from a sump build). There still some things left to do on the tank itself, sliding doors, vent, lights.

As for the inside, I will part the plants to get them a bit smaller. The background will get a coat of silicone and peat moss. (pic´s will come)

There is a small waterfall in there, Vattenfall - YouTube

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you only use silicone to bond it together?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I now got hold of some Peat moss, I think that´s what it called.

Started to glue it to my background.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You stole my son's name (Frogboy) and my tank building in one fell swoop! :eek: Just kidding! Looking good, love those homemade vivs! Use Mistking for a misting system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe sorry for the theft :) According the mistking, the shipping to Sweden makes it insainly expensive. Otherwise I would have ordered it asap.
I´m planning to build my own system, using the highpressure pump for windshield washers from a car. And a nozzle from vivaria.nl, hopefully it will work.

Any suggestions on lightning, looking for Ho bulbs like the exo ones.

/Mattias

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't think that's going to cut it. I looked up several types of windshield washer pumps online. It looks like most only run 10 to 20 PSI. I saw a blurb on one that claimed 38 PSI. In comparison, a MistKing pump puts out 125 PSI and RainMaker runs 100 PSI.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
To bad, what if I use a nozzle from an ordenary hand sprayflask ?
You could get away with a lower pressure pump then, but your mist won't be as light. That would mean more siphoning of the water that builds up (or a drain system). You will also need to make sure your substrate is very well drained if using a "wetter" mist.
I'm not trying to shoot you down. Just pointing out what you may have to address with a DIY misting system. There have been a few threads about DIY misting systems if you search for them. You might find some good ideas there. Normally I'd say you can't put together a decent system for cheaper than you can get a MistKing for, but with your extra shipping to Sweden, you'll have to weigh those costs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check into the pumps they use for the steam type vacuums I think those are high pressure pumps and a replacement or salvage may get you what you need just make sure it is clean

Len

·
Registered
143 Posts
By the way vivaria.nl is the website that got me hooked on vivariums back in 1995 when I first saw their site, they have some amazing set-ups there including that full room display they did.

Len

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tnx for the link, Ill check them out.

Slaughtered my old espresso machine, found what I was looking for :)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Looks like a piston pump. That's what Rainmaker uses. Should work but don't ever let it run dry.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts