Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Maybe someone here can answer this question for me. I had bred many darts in the past and have never seen this before. I have had a couple eggs now from a pair of intermedius that are developing with arched backs and tails that are arched over the body like a scorpion. It looks ridiculous. scorpion tads.... Any idea what could be causing this?? I feed regularly with FF's and use repashy and am establishing other microfauna in the viv. not all tads have been this way. just 2 that ive seen so far. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I think we'd all appreciate a pic or 2 for judgement, LMAO! Sounds odd to me.

Are you sure they are alive, are they swimming in this posture, or resting?

Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
when i saw ground up magical scorpion powder in the ingredients list for repashy, i'll admit, i was baffled, but now it makes perfect sense.

i agree, pics would be great. not that i can comment on what is happening other than my above hypothesis, but i'd like to see pics out of personal interest.

james

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah one tad died and the other is very much alive but can't swim for crap. Here is a better mental visual for you. The back is slightly arched and the tail is kinda twisted up like the tail of a pug. As for pics, I'll see what I can do.

Maybe I should have titled it "pugpole" now how the heck did a pug get in there? Sorry kermit........ You're not he father :(

·
Registered
19,318 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Deformatiom of this sort can be due to many different things including but not limited to genetics, and/or exposure to chemicals such as metals, pesticides and/or herbicides. See for example

http://fwe.wisc.edu/facstaff/karasov/2006_chen_et_al_sublethal_effects_lead.pdf

http://lib3.dss.go.th/fulltext/Jour...998/no.10/10,1998 vol.32,no.10,p1453-1461.pdf

There are many more abstracts but I restriced the search to free pdfs.

Ed
Ed, i use to appreciate your posts... now im starting to dread them as i know i will be reading for the next two hours learning new stuff:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts