Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this terrarium from Craigslist for $40! It's rock solid and in perfect shape, minus some dirty glass. The dimensions are roughly 2 foot tall by 1 foot diameter.

I'm not going to put frogs in it, but leave it as a plant only terrarium. I'm thinking some sort of epiphyte stump project I want to put a single LED at the very top where a whole is. The glass doors simply slide open. I'll have to be creative with how to get things inside as the doors aren't very big.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
That's awesome
I'd get some corkscrew willow branches, attach mini epiphytes to them and put a crazy mantis in there.
I really like cool vivariums like that. And that's a good deal too

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Josh, you're right, it's an acrobat (Crematogaster ashmeadi if I recall correctly) ant. I need to change my avatar to something more relevant to my interests now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One question I've got right off. How best to light this thing? Ideally, I'd love to light this with a single unit placed right at the top, with the wiring hidden along the soldering. I'm doubting that I could get near enough light from a single source though. Any ideas? The other, more logical option, would be to place a light source a foot or so above the entire thing. If anyone knows a good stump-terrarium I could use for ideas, please share. :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea Sports_doc. I can't say when I'll get to building this one. I now have a 10 gallon aquarium that we found in the trash that the kids want setup. It's a full tank with hood, light, filter, heater, gravel, and food. And no indication that it's ever been used. It looks like it was taken straight out of the box and set in the trash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts