Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you are already in the right spot. I've bred hundreds of Oophaga since 2005.
you are already in the right spot. I've bred hundreds of Oophaga since 2005.
How many eggs a day do you give for the oophagas?

I have a problem and it is that when I feed them two eggs a day, most of them end up swollen (I stop feeding them and put them on melafix and they recover). But it scares me to only give one egg a day and they won't develop well.
Frog Organism Wood Road surface Art

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
that bloat looks horrible. I have just recently considered surrogate egg feeding. I allow my pairs to raise the tadpoles naturally.

·
Registered
261 Posts
How many eggs a day do you give for the oophagas?

I have a problem and it is that when I feed them two eggs a day, most of them end up swollen (I stop feeding them and put them on melafix and they recover). But it scares me to only give one egg a day and they won't develop well.
View attachment 307443
I have never understood why people remove oophaga tads. The parents know how many eggs to give their young.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
There is guy in NYC that is feeding numerous large Oophaga - histionica and sylvatica with great sucess for the reason you cited - greater production and captive breeding for commerce. i see to recall him saying only 1 egg per day for the tadpoles. FYI a know a couple people who have had apparently healthy, albeit smaller, Oophaga pumilio moph out with zero eggs fed by the parents, so I fully believe for the smaller guys, that is possible but not recommended.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is guy in NYC that is feeding numerous large Oophaga - histionica and sylvatica with great sucess for the reason you cited - greater production and captive breeding for commerce. i see to recall him saying only 1 egg per day for the tadpoles.
Thanks for the info

FYI a know a couple people who have had apparently healthy, albeit smaller, Oophaga pumilio moph out with zero eggs fed by the parents, so I fully believe for the smaller guys, that is possible but not recommended.
Zero?? wow... I know that some tadpoles can survive like 1 moth without eggs but they dont development at all

·
Registered
Boca del Drago, Cristobal, ElDorado, BJ, BYH, Azureu, Pats, Cits. Auratus, Rats: South, High, Vanz
16 Posts
What eggs are you feeding them? Large obligates really have low to no survivability when fed anything other than large obligate eggs. Some reported extended mortality using Auratus eggs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What eggs are you feeding them? Large obligates really have low to no survivability when fed anything other than large obligate eggs. Some reported extended mortality using Auratus eggs.
O.sylvatica
O.andresi
O.anchicayensis

Sometimes when I don't have eggs for Oophaga I have to use P.aurataenia and D.auratus eggs, but only when they are big (with legs). No one have died.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts