Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m building a house and have a frog room being framed in the back of the basement as I type. Once I get my feet wet, and I feel comfortable enough, I plan on gradually expanding from one viv to a full blown room. This has had me thinking, for the last year, about the 12 hour light cycles and the costs associated with it.

I’ve read a lot of opinions and I guess I’m asking for clarification or more information. I’m looking for the best lighting with the following criteria listed in order from most to least important (Obviously what’s good for the frogs and plants is top priority):

1. Monthly costs of running (CFL, LED, T5 I’m not sure what’s the best option here)
2. Longevity and dependability
3. Low Heat Output
4. Best for plant coloration/ viewing
5. Initial cost

Initial cost is last because I don’t mind saving up for something more that will cost less for operation.

I appreciate your thoughts on this beat to death horse. I hated to start another thread on lighting but in all the threads I’ve been looking at over the months I haven’t really seen a question laid out as such.

Well, with my criteria what’s the best option???

·
Registered
446 Posts
Depends on what setup you have. Typically I see the $9 shop lights from lowes covering multiple tens on a rack.

I am an ex-reefer.. so the cost of this hobby is just insanely wildly cheaper than that.

As far as electric cost... 20w bulbs in a 4 foot shop light... several of those setup.. wouldnt probably make much of a noticeable difference in your electric bill. Maybe a few bucks a month at best.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Try out this cost calculator. For a typical 48" 32W bulb, it cost about 1.25$ per month to run 12 hours a day...Of course it all depends on local electricity rates. Just get your last bill and try it out for the different lights you might want.

Energy Cost Calculator

·
Registered
446 Posts
I run a single 23w spiral CF 6500k (wal mart special, $5 for 2 of them) in exo terra hoods over my 18x18x24 with good growth and looks... So that would be turbo cheap to run.. like stated about $1 a month per bulb.. And they state they last like 5 years.. so.. lol your spending .50 a year average on the bulb.. since its $5 for a two pack.. and they last 5 years a piece (I dont know if they actually get that age, but, still, last a long time)

The way I look at it.... each one of those is half of running a single lamp with a regular bulb. So.. electric costs isnt even a remote concern for me. Especially after being a reef geek with halides in the past LOL.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh, I bet after running reefs it's as if it's next to nothing!

I guess my concern was peaked when I read on someone's thread they were spending $300+ extra a month on electrical with their frog room. I nearly fell out of my seat at the time. I wish I could remember who posted it so I could reference. Perhaps it was an older room using mutliple T8's or something? :confused:

Anyway, I'm feeling much better now. :D

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts