Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware if the ornate hopper (Scaphiophryne gottlebei) is on appendix I or II on CITES? I believe it is II unless it has changed. I have not seen them in quite a while. What exactly does CITES II category mean for exportation, etc. again?
Thanks for any knowledge on the subject,
Kevin

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been looking into what it would take to get some frogs into Canada (we are thinking of going to NWFF) and wow what an ordeal!!
To import in Canada:
Specimens to be imported into Canada must be accompanied by: a CITES export permit issued by the exporting country.

And From what I read I can’t apply for these permits; the person I’m buying the frogs has too.... Ugggg they sure know how to make things difficult!! I tried phoning around but just got sent in circles....

I would suggest looking at your Country’s cites website and see what they have to say.... here is the Canadian one, I believe somewhere in there they have a link to the one in the US.
(oh and this is the frog you were asking about I belive :wink: )
http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/listedecontro ... &code=1701

Michelle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.cites.org click the Cites Species link

It may not be the most user friendly website, but it's got loads and loads of interesting studies and information if you care to read it. It's also a jackpot for those interested in taxonomy, although I've noticed that some of the taxonomy may be out of date. Splitters, you know :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
They are appendix II, which means that limited trade is allowed in them. Look around as I know for sure that some came in on the recent shipments.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at Zoological Imports in Miami on Wed. and saw 50 or so Scaphiophryne gottlebei all in good shape -they also had Scaphiophryne marmorata in good supply as well. I was looking for Dendrobates so I did'nt get prices but they are usually very competative. They ship nation wide as well as internationally-They most likely have the orig. Cites and can re-export to Canada. If anyone needs further contact info e-mail me at [email protected] for Mario's(the owner) e-mail address and phone number.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for such excellent and helpful responses. I certainly found all I needed and more from the posts :)
Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts