Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, they aren't endangered.;) I pulled a piece from our Jack O Lantern last year to test with the Isopods. They loved it! I will be chopping some up for the freezer this time. Great free food for your isopods! Don't forget to scrub the skin for pesticides.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Zoomie, I never meant for your addiction to lead to theft and jail time. I'd tell you it might be time for you to go "cold turkey" but knowing you, soon enough you'd be knocking over a 7-11 for your next cold turkey sandwich!

Reactions: Zoomie

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
and here i was about to post how you can use a spare repti-fogger to make your halloween pumpkin very appealing, lol.

·
Registered
658 Posts
No, they aren't endangered.;) I pulled a piece from our Jack O Lantern last year to test with the Isopods. They loved it! I will be chopping some up for the freezer this time. Great free food for your isopods! Don't forget to scrub the skin for pesticides.
I used the search bar for "pumpkins" and your thread came up. I put a few small slices of pumpkin in with my springtails and iso cultures yesterday. I just opened up the lid this morning and BINGO, so many springtails on the slices!! Unfortunately Doug, I got this idea from someone else on the board:p and just wanted to make sure that others were in on this!! Thank you for sharing this with others. It does work:eek:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Albertsons had the smaller pie pumpkins on sale for 99cents so I grabbed 3. Gonna chop them up into chunks small enough to feed and freeze a bunch. I used the scraps from our halloween pumkin and the iso's in my culture are making short work of them.

My wife officially thinks I've lost it, buying pumkins to feed bugs.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We froze a gallon ziplock stuffed full of small pieces.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Great tip Doug,do you think butternut squash,organic of course grown by yours truely will be good as well,and just to reinforce ,we have a native springtail here,that we have fed to our frog on and off since the summer,some of our bits of pumpkin are already being composted they are covered with springtails.Of course too late for our cultures but,should be able to get some off fellow allotmenteers,as a food store for the freezer,wonderful tip Doug should have thought that one out myself,kudos sir
regards
Stu

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes, agreed.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Eric Doug thanks guys,will be especially useful for extra in viv top ups,for me,because of the way i'm going about this some vivs will be set for a good while before getting frogs,in some cases i have to remove isos,as i pop in the frogs, as i worry that the numbers are just to high,and the frogs will also not get a properly balanced diet,it will be good to have another organic feed stuff i can use both prefrog,and whilst the viv is inhabited,
much appreciated!!
Stu

1 - 20 of 47 Posts