Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember hearing somewhere that using silica sand in your substrate could potentially cause harm to the frogs because they might ingest it. I got a substrate mix recipie that calls for equal parts of ground coco husk, orchid bark, pea gravel, and silica sand. it has a very natual look to it and it drains really well for plants, but will it be okay for the frogs?

·
Registered
313 Posts
that sounds like dirt to me :)
i used to work landscaping and my boss made topsoil
by mixing sand with all the grass clippings we collected,
plus some other stuff but those two things where the major
ingredients...

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
You'll be fine...

That sounds a lot like Atlanta Botanical Garden's mix. You can sip the sand if you want - but it will not be a problem. I think when people warn about sand, they are referring to using it over the entire tank.

For others who are curious about the Atlanta Botanical Garden recipie, David Doyle has it on his site, here is the link: http://www.doylesdartden.com/housing.htm#Substrate

Melissa

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
I have used the ABG exclusively for 8 years. It's a great mix.

It's got a couple hard to find ingrediants though.

Ground Tree Fern Root is pretty much only available via Mail Order (and only from OFE Orchid Supplies as far as I know. None of the other supply places ever had it.). Unfortunately, as I noted elsewhere on this board, Tree Fern Root is not renewable and you're killing a tree to get at its roots. So I no longer use Tree Fern Root at all.

Fine Orchid Bark is a bit easier to find. This is not the stuff you'll normally find at a Home Depot/Lowes. That is at least 2 or 3 times the size of the bark chips that you need. I recommend substituting coco chips from Rolanka.

Matter of fact... I've switched over to a mix I read about on this here board. I'm using 2 parts small coco chips, 1 part medium coco chips (both of these are from Rolanka), 1 part ground coco mix (the brick stuff) and 1 part peat.

I like this so far and it's cheaper, and much more renewable, than the ABG mix.

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott said:
Matter of fact... I've switched over to a mix I read about on this here board. I'm using 2 parts small coco chips, 1 part medium coco chips (both of these are from Rolanka), 1 part ground coco mix (the brick stuff) and 1 part peat.
I like this so far and it's cheaper, and much more renewable, than the ABG mix.
Except for the peat, which is almost as non renewable as tree fern. peat takes about 100 years to form at the bottom of a bog, and they just dig the whole thing up to get to it. bet the frogs dont like that too much =)

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
I knew that... but as a percentage... it's much smaller than what was being "used" before.

I'm not sure how much Peat brings to this mix... but I like the fact that I get spontaneous moss in my tanks and I'm guessing it is from moss spores in the peat.

So yes, it's not renewable, but percentagewise I've taken the non-renewable portion of my mix way down.

thx.

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not trying to be anal about it, just making a point. I use peat exclusively in my carniviorus plant bogs, because thats whats best for them. i am not that much of a hippie =) i just dont think that peat really is necessary for growing tropicals that will for the most part grow in just gravel. heck, my orchids are growing stapled to a wall! =)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my mix has always been long fiber sphagnum moss, fir bark chips and oak leaves. This has worked great for me and is pretty cost effective.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Instead of tree fern root would other fern rhizomes work? I got a bunch from the ferns growing in my back yard that were acting like weeds. It is very similar to the tree fern.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
bacteria wouldnt be too pressent though, cow manure is sterile. Thats why "shrooms" can grow in it, but probally will have parasites now that i think about it. Thanks for the help

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cow manure is sterile??? Do you mean processed manure or something? Do you have any idea how much bacteria is present in fecal material, especially herbivores? Natural cow manure is anything but sterile, please take my word on it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts