Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 12x12x18 exo that I've been looking to turn into a viv. This may be a transitional viv as I figure out how the frogs get used to it, but I'm basically approaching it having it densely planted so that the frogs have a lot of visual barriers. At the moment, this will house 1.0.2 San Cristobal pumilio, but depending on how things go, it may be narrowed down to a pair.

I used the drylok method that Zach had used for his bumblebee toads to create the rockwork in the back. I'm very happy with how it turned out! I stuffed the cracks with a bunch of sheet moss I got from Josh's Frogs which made the rockwork look very realistic. I have a drip wall on the back with is doing a nice job of spreading out the water. I made the hood so that the drip wall stuff is hidden as well as the LED lights and computer fan to circulate the air in the tank.

I have the front with a little moat in part because I was originally planning to put in a waterfall (but decided against it) and in part because it adds an additional dimension to the tank. Right now it just has some anubias in it, and I may add some cherry shrimp I have in my planted aquarium for an added bit of color. We'll see how it does and what I think.

All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. Definitely like the rockwork stuff and am going to use it for a vittatus viv in the future to make a stream-side viv for them.

Here are a couple pictures of the tank. I will put the frogs in in a week or two so that the tank has some time to start growing in. And before folks start getting after me about the size of the tank, I'm aware that it's on the smaller side for pums, so I am going to be watching them, but I know folks who have had success breeding pums in smaller tanks, so I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tank looks good! I would not worry about the size right away. I had my el dorados in the same size tank for a little while and they did perfectly fine. Which type of the cristobals did you get?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Looks good JP, very interesting center piece with the wood. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the size and whether or not you'll have to downsize

·
Registered
52 Posts
What do you mean what type? I got the F1 trio from Oz. They're true Cristobals, so they came from the island of San Cristobal.
I should have asked which color morph. Red, yellow, any blue marbling, heavy or light spotting? Would love to a see a picture, I am very fond of the Cristobals.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Honestly I don't think the tanks too small if its for temporary use. 18" Cube probably ideal. I had a two Site specific San Cristobal in a 75gal and it was a complete waste of space. The only time they left their chosen broms was for food. If I had to put a gallon size of range that they used it would be around 20-25 gallons. They other half of the tank they have not even ventured onto. I finally found a male from the same local and he stays in one of the broms near teh prettier female.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, gotcha (I thought you were referring to the imports that came in a few years ago that were not true Cristobals and came from the mainland). They're red with fine, heavy spotting, and blue feet. I don't want to stress them out too much with a photo session, but they look very similar to this individual:

One is that intense of red, and the others are a little lighter. I'm happy with them because they're consistent with the ones I've seen in the wild (I'll be honest, I've seen the yellow ones come in, and I swear that people collecting them must be going out and collecting the ugliest frogs in the bunch; the red ones really are beautiful). If I had one disappointment, it's that the blue doesn't extend into the whole leg like I've seen in the wild, but ultimately, that's minor since it's all phenotypic and offspring could show that trait.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I've seen the yellow ones come in, and I swear that people collecting them must be going out and collecting the ugliest frogs in the bunch; the red ones really are beautiful).
I completely agree. The yellow cristobals are hideous in my opinion. Sick tank and cool frogs JP, I'm sure they'll do well in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.