Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Salvinia natans keeps turning brown in the viv? its growth slows and starts to darken from a light green to a light brown. I have a double PC light, so plenty of light . I thought it was too much light so Ive only been using one, and they havent greened up? I have a few orchids (one that is about to bloom!), 3 kinds of neps. as well as several other plants, all thriving?

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i think i'm having a similar problem...stuff seems to thrive for months then all a sudden starts going south. I think its using up some kind of nutrients in the water.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering the same thing. I have 11 16oz containers that need to be split. I will try an experiment with them and post the results. (Group1) grown in RO water only, (group2) 1/2 RO 1/2 original water. then I will grow 1 each of (group 1&2) in the shade, and 1 each of (group 1&2) in full sun from the window (not a south facing one)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I pulled this from tropica:
Light leaves are a sign of a shortage of micro-nutrients. It tends to take light from the plants at the bottom.

Growing it in an open aquarium requires are 3-4 watts per gallon and thats with the light source only being inches away... I would say that there is a possibility it is not getting enough light.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure its getting enough light I have (2) 55 wat duel PC lights over a 30gal, I have also had them directly in a south window, (where they actualy lightened in color. I am now growing them in 16oz containers in indirect light with the most sucess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts