Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, my name is sam. I have always cared for reptiles and amphibians, but primarily reptiles. I have finally found myself in a permitting living situation to start rebuilding my critters. I have never has dart frogs, but I have had a few successful vivs in the past. I live in an area of long cold winters. during which time I intend to build and setup a really cool vivarium set up. until I can get a hold of some sketch paper all I have right now are crude markings on my floor and a slopily written idea of what I am to achieve.
I intend on building a stand just shy of 7 feet tall. starting from the bottom I intend on having a small pond, housing fish and turtles. the pond will not only allow you a sitting place to view the viv up close, i will make it so you can see inside the pond as well. the next level up will be a 2.5 foot viv housing the darts. above that will be another 2.5 foot viv housing some arboreal lizards.
the goal is to set the whole thing up so everything is running basically automatically. I know I have a great deal of work and expense ahead of me, which is why I searched out DB, any advice or feedback, both positive and negative are appreciated. I will be getting the lumber for the stand and base structure as well as the pond in the next week or two. I will be sure to take lots of pictures in order to well document the build process.
sorry about the long post from a noob, I am just uber excited to start this project, and am hoping to get some hints and tips from you kind folks!

·
Registered
701 Posts
hello all, my name is sam. I have always cared for reptiles and amphibians, but primarily reptiles. I have finally found myself in a permitting living situation to start rebuilding my critters. I have never has dart frogs, but I have had a few successful vivs in the past. I live in an area of long cold winters. during which time I intend to build and setup a really cool vivarium set up. until I can get a hold of some sketch paper all I have right now are crude markings on my floor and a slopily written idea of what I am to achieve.
I intend on building a stand just shy of 7 feet tall. starting from the bottom I intend on having a small pond, housing fish and turtles. the pond will not only allow you a sitting place to view the viv up close, i will make it so you can see inside the pond as well. the next level up will be a 2.5 foot viv housing the darts. above that will be another 2.5 foot viv housing some arboreal lizards.
the goal is to set the whole thing up so everything is running basically automatically. I know I have a great deal of work and expense ahead of me, which is why I searched out DB, any advice or feedback, both positive and negative are appreciated. I will be getting the lumber for the stand and base structure as well as the pond in the next week or two. I will be sure to take lots of pictures in order to well document the build process.
sorry about the long post from a noob, I am just uber excited to start this project, and am hoping to get some hints and tips from you kind folks!
Turtles and fish are a great combination, but fish and turtles, not so much. The best thing for you would be to buy a rack. It will hold all those tanks, plus more. Or you can build into the wall, which looks nice. What did you have in mind for these tanks? It sounds good, maybe a RES in one, 1-2 luecs, tincs, or auratus in the dart tank, and maybe some anoles in the other.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the whole set up well basically be an elaborate rack set-up. its hard to describe in words right now.. as pics start to flow it will make more sense. I was thinking azureus for the frogs, and probably basilisks for the lizards. these tanks will all be completely separate from each other, the other species will not know of the creatures living above or below them

·
Registered
41 Posts
turtles eat fish. if the fish is half the size of the turtle or bigger they might not eat them but smaller than that will probably not last longer than 10 min.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as for the turtle and fish I will use a combo of larger fish, and smaller turtles. if some fish fall victim to the turtles so be it. its not like guppys are hard to breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts