Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about the safety local mosses to mosses from Zoo Med and Josh's Frogs. I called both places. Josh's is closed for the holiday until next Tuesday, Dec. 27. I got a hold of someone named Ashley at Zoo Med.

Ashley said that their mosses are from throughout North America and are not treated in any way (or dyed) but are dried. She said drying should take care of most of the diseases/parasites. (I wonder about that.)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Plenty of people have success with locally-collected mosses. If you do use local moss, make sure to sanitize it (5-10% bleach solution). I have had some success using the dried sheet moss that josh sells. I soaked it in water for two days before placing it in the viv...it is slowly coming back. Some members sell tropical moss which would be a great choice as well. Other people use aquatic mosses (java, christmas, etc..) with good results...again, sanitize before putting them into the viv.

EDIT: If you are looking for faster green growth, go with live moss. The dried mosses can come back in the viv, but will take longer to establish.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I buy my moss from Manuran, but have purchased the dried pillow moss before. Drying and removal of the soil should do a fairly ok job, but you can always do a 5% bleach soak

1 - 3 of 3 Posts