Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a few plants from a friends dart frog terrarium. What is the safest way to transfer them to my terrarium? It's a fern I wanted and some Wondering Jew clippings. So I've removed all of the soil that I could. I'll probably do a Neem soaking next for insects. Then what, would you isolate the plants for a month or so first??

Thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I would wash them in a 5- 10% bleach solution, followed by a thorough rinse. Not a guarantee, but probably your best bet. BTW, in my experience, dish soap works just as well as jerk and is much cheaper.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would wash them in a 5- 10% bleach solution, followed by a thorough rinse. Not a guarantee, but probably your best bet. BTW, in my experience, dish soap works just as well as jerk and is much cheaper.
I think I will do the 10% bleach soak, BUT how long do you leave in the solution before a good rinse?

Thank you,
Steverd

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I usually just swirl them around real good for about a minute. Try to make sure the solution gets into all the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would isolate the plants for a while, however. Keep a close eye out for snails/slugs/nemertians in their grow tank. I learned my lesson. It would also put me in more peace of mind if the frogs from the source tank had a clean bill of health after fecal exams (yeah, i know, it can be a lot to ask of a helpful friend who is providing you plants).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts