Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I just saw these two plants at a nursery and they werent sure what they were and i figured for $1 each it was worth a shot to grab them and check out what they were. I'm not sure what the moss type stuff is and i think the other plant is 'sedum' but not sure what type and if they are safe. The pot looks like it has two different types of sedum.

Any ideas? And hopefully they are safe.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Didnt post the right way on the first one haha.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
First one is a sedum. Not a good choice as it will undoubtedly melt down in a viv. Don't know about the second one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmmm. Define meltdown lol? The moss is the one im curious about. The sedum i wasnt sure about.

Any idea what the moss is?

Wayne

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure? I looked at a couple pictures and it doesnt seem to have the same growth. This one isnt nearly as rooted as what it says it should be. How positive are you that its scotch/irish moss?

Wayne

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I think Antone has it right.

Ed

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds legit.

Discard both from the vivarium basically. I am just looking for valid options for the plants going inside.

Good news though. I got 3 or 4 broms and orchids for the tank as well as a couple philodedrons from my campus's greenhouse.

Free is awesome.

Thanks guys/gals,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Antone is correct about the second plant, it is Sagina, Irish or Scotch moss. Both this and Sedum are temperate plants that prefer drier soil and need a dormancy period. Neither is suitable for vivarium use.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's all both plants i still have but just for fun.

I recently got:

3 orchids
7 brom's
1 pilea
1 peperomia
1 hoya
1 english ivy
2 philoden.

My bosses tank has some of the same stuff, but different types such as varigated.

So far so good. I got the false bottom in and everything is going good so far. Just waiting to get the bentonite to do the clay wall.

Wayne

Thanks for the help guys and gals. Much appreciated. Ill put a post up soon of the work so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts