Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long time no see, people of dendroboard.... I haven't been on here much at all lately (due to all the bad luck i've been having. I totaled my car, messed up my knee, ran out of money, among other bad situations in just a two week period. I think god decided to take a massive poop on my life. This has not been a good winter... lol) But I have been slowly making progress on my 40 gallon tank just so i don't slowly go insane from all this sh!t.

My plan for this tank is to house my two blue and black auratus along with two other adults later on down the road. Like i said, i'm completely broke, so this is most definitely a budget build.

Here is what i have so far.

Pretty standard build so far.. just a standard false bottom, clay background, and some pieces of driftwood i've collected over the years. Once i get a light, the clay will be seeded with a riccia and java moss mix, so give it a few months, and the background will be green instead of grey. I have a few broms that will be put in there, but other than that, i really don't have a set plan for plants. Maybe some cryptanthus or a fern or two? i need ideas.

Let me know what you think so far. There is still a long way before i can call it finished, but hell, its a start.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sry to hear about all the mess.

But those stumps look great with the way they seem to come out of the clay. Lookin forward to seeing some updates as you plant it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nice looking drift wood, Im doing the same with my 40 breeder, pulled all the glass off will be interested to see how you finish yours.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Looks nice man. I like the wood and how you have it situated. Sorry to hear about the other stuff it will all pass soon and start looking up. I just found a job a couple of weeks ago and i already have plans for another build and i havent even finished my current one.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
little update for you guys.

I got tired of trying to find a cheap used 36" light, so i just ended up making one myself out of some metal clip lights, three 6500k 26watt cfl's, some cedar 1x2"s, and thin pieces of high density fiberboard to cover it all up. Pictures below.

I also stole a couple plants i had lying around and put them in the tank to keep it at least halfway interesting. From left to right: Neoregelia "chiquita linda", Cryptanthus bivittatus, Neoregelia "fireball" green form.

It doesn't look like it yet, but i added a moss mixture of java, riccia, and live sphagnum, to the clay background and stumps.

That's it for now folks. I'll probably be adding a lot more plants here pretty soon, along with the possible addition of a misting system. Tell me what you guys think of it so far!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice job on the homemade light fixture! I like the layout of the tank and those tree stumps you put in there too.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words guys! I added a few plants and tried to take a better picture with my cannon powershot. I also seeded the tank w/ springs earlier. Enjoy!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its going to be a rimless tank actually, but its only Saran wrap right now haha. I'm waiting for my tax return to come before I buy a big enough piece of glass to make a nice top with a living hinge.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like your tank. Very natural looking. I am a fan of the clay background (I have a 10 gallon with clay BG). It will look real good when moss gross in.

Keep your chin up...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm lovin your clay background. It's fantastic looking, especially for a budget build. Love the pieces of wood too.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's a lovely build. Great driftwood!! Can't wait to see it grown in!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
poop happens brother, believe me Iv'e been there;) the set up looks great! very nice clay work, I'm just starting to do clay in some of my tanks & love the poop out of it ! thinking of adding at least a little clay in all my set ups as the plants love it. Can't wait to see some pics of yours with mature moss growth. :cool:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm glad everyone is liking it so far! I think it's really starting to come together, and it'll look wayyyyy better once i get some moss growth. Lets just say i learned not to use fast growing plants from my last build..... Nothing invasive is making it's way into this tank, that's for sure!

I noticed my big cryptanthus is starting to regain its color already. Keep in mind that this plant was in a complete absence of light for about 5 months (why the newer leaves are all stretched out and thin) and it has only been under high light for maybe a week. I really can't wait for this plant to turn bright red in a month or so!

Some pics just for poops and giggles.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this tank is going nicely so far. A lot of the plants are growing new roots and regain color.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts