Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
sure does get old quick. I also sterilize all my fruit fly cups, because purchasing 20 a week is ridiculous. I dont see any problems using the dishwasher, except my mom.

·
Registered
707 Posts
A dishwasher most likely will not sterilize anything. It will however do a good job of cleaning and most likely a good enough job. To really sterilize, I think you will need both pressure and temperature. There is a bit of information about this on websites about home canning:

Here is a guide from the USDA
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/u ... ide_01.pdf

And a general website on home sterilization:
http://www.chaseunion.com/documents/safety/sterile1.htm

At sea level you need to completely immerse the container in boiling water for 10 mintues to sterilze. Then again, you may not really need to sterilize. I just point it out since that is the word that was used in one of the posts. I was thinking of getting a canning pressure cooker that will take 4 mason jars at a time myself for this purpose.

Marcos

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I realize that dishwasher water isn't hot enough to truly sterilize, but I just wondered if it would be sufficient to remove any mold spores or bacteria that might have built up while they were housing frogs.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dane, I run them thru the dishwasher (top shelf) and then hit them with a 10% bleach solution, rinse a lot and let them dry.
Ed

·
Registered
399 Posts
I also run all my stuff through a dishwasher (I had one built into my frog room). :lol:

I have never had a problem with doing it for my shoeboxes, mason jars, feeding cups and anything else that will fit in there.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hm... a dishwasher in the frog room! Why didn't I think of that ? Great idea... but then again I am Mr. Disposable 8)

AZDR_A said:
I also run all my stuff through a dishwasher (I had one built into my frog room). :lol:

I have never had a problem with doing it for my shoeboxes, mason jars, feeding cups and anything else that will fit in there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
actually some dishwashers have a sanitation mode( mine does- it heats the water to either 200 or 205 degrees fahrenheit and runs for 15 minutes). However i have melted a few of the thinner ff containers. Just remember to only put them on the top rack.

Sean

·
Registered
213 Posts
How about letting them "cook" out in the sun? I have heard from lab guys that the UV does a pretty good job of sterilizing things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts