Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
324 Posts
I use Sterilite 20Q Gasket Boxes: Sterilite - 1932: 20 Quart Gasket Box

They are completely sealed, so I drill four to five 1 inch holes across one edge of the top for airflow. I silicone screen material over the holes (inside of the lid) so flies and frogs can't get out and add one more 1/4" hole in the middle of the top for feeding. I simply put a funnel in the hole and dump my flies in. When I'm not feeding I plug the hole with a rubber cork.

Simple temp tank ... holds humidity well ... is clear so light can get through for plant growth ... and is completely fly and frog proof.

· Registered
2,944 Posts
Could you maybe post a pic or two of those set up? They seem cool, I might try that.

They are completely sealed, so I drill four to five 1 inch holes across one edge of the top for airflow. I silicone screen material over the holes (inside of the lid) so flies and frogs can't get out and add one more 1/4" hole in the middle of the top for feeding. I simply put a funnel in the hole and dump my flies in. When I'm not feeding I plug the hole with a rubber cork.

Simple temp tank ... holds humidity well ... is clear so light can get through for plant growth ... and is completely fly and frog proof.

· Registered
10,042 Posts
you really dont want some that are fruit flie escape proof as that usually means that is pretty much air tight, just setup a feeding station to keep them in.
I usually just get any containers, i have used sterilite and rubbermaid in the past, but there is now a container store by my office so i go there a lot since they are pretty cheap.

· Registered
2,944 Posts
Could you guys post pics of your set ups? I might try some of these, but I would want to get some like the ones other people on here have gotton, so I know that they are good. And I am just curious how you guys set them up.

· Banned
4,937 Posts

where do you get the 1/4 stoppers? I was looking online, and the only thing that immediately comes up is 1 1/4 tub stoppers

· Premium Member
8,483 Posts
I got a few plastic tubs from Lowe's that are pretty secure (fruit fly proof). They have a snap/handle thingy on each side to hold the lid down tight.

Lots of different sizes. From somewhere around 5 bucks and up. Can't find it on their website to link it. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

· Premium Member
8,483 Posts
I cut a couple holes in the first one I used for frogs, and covered with screen. The second one I didn't ventilate, but, they did fine. I think they were getting enough air when I opened the lid to feed and stare.

I'll post pics of the one I cut holes in as well as one that has not been ventilated. I'd do it now but I'm sleepy :eek:

· Registered
324 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.