Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a bromeliad to root on a piece of "ghostbood." I'm wondering if its safe to use a rubberband to hold some wet sphagnum moss and the brom to the wood. I plan on taking the rubber band off before putting any frogs in the tank. Is there any reason I should worry about rubber bands releasing any strange chemicals? Is it safe to put the frogs in there before I take the rubber bands out even? Seems like a silly question, but I'm always a little nervous putting seemingly "normal" items into a vivarium.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Tad,

Just use fishing line to tie it on. It looks more natural because of its transparency.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about that, but I vaguely recall someone talking about a frog getting line wrapped around its leg. I would think that if any excess is trimmed and it's tight enough it should be an issue.

-Tad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had good luck using plain cotton thread to mount bromeliads. The thread breaks down pretty quickly in a moist enclosure, just about the length of time it takes for the plants to firmly attach themselves with their roots.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd go with the cotton idea. I use floral wire that's wrapped in cloth. Inmy short experience, rubber bands and tight thread have cut into the plant causing it to rot in that area. I wrap the cloth wire loosely around the base and they will root fairly quickly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might have done it wrong, but the 3 plants that I have siliconed to wood have died. I think the best idea is to loosely attach it and allow it to naturally root.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts