Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What style of rocks would you normally find in dart frog habitats?

Round?
Chucky?
Ragged?

Some pictures?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Im sure like everywhere else the terrain has some variability, the rocks in peru aren't going to be exactly like the ones in costa rica.

·
Registered
454 Posts
just generalizing.... I'd think you would see primarily sedimentary rocks, most likely rounded or slate-esque due to the large amounts of water present

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Most of the pictures that I have seen are near streams, so the rock are all smoothed out from the water running over them. I have used all types in tanks and the frogs dont seem to care (sandstone, slate, river rocks, etc).

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
How do you make fake rocks, exactly? I've been wondering that for a while now, and I thought I would like to try it in a viv one of these days, so I'm thinking it would help if I new how.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
How do you make fake rocks, exactly? I've been wondering that for a while now, and I thought I would like to try it in a viv one of these days, so I'm thinking it would help if I new how.
If you do a quick search you will find several ways. Some people use epoxy, some people just use hydraulic cement and foam and then paint it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I always get rocks at the landscape supply place. In fact the first time I went there I was setting up a fish tank. I walked up to the counter and told the guy I needed 25 rocks, he said "25 tons?" I said "No just 25 individual rocks" Help yourself, was his reply.

I have long though about making a little wood frame and then placing some rocks in there making sure they fit nicely. Then I would do a fiberglass mold of them. I would think I could peel off the fiberglass when it was cured and paint it to the color I wanted. You would have the look of the rocks. I don't know if that method is even possible but it's an idea.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you are going to make a mold of rocks, it's best to do it with a silicone mold rubber and then cast into it your cast agent. Be it cement, foam, grout, epoxy, urethane, whatever. Thats how I make mine:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts