Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now applying the epoxy, used a paste rather than a liquid, big mistake, wasted alot of epoxy and caused unecessary voids. Didn't turn out as nice as I would have liked but it's still usable. Hope to correct mistakes on next build.

Sorry about broken up threads, didn't figure out that you just posted on same thread unitl after third one.

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
why do you have 4 threads for the same stuff? throw them all in the same thread. it would be nice to see them all in the same spot.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
this looks really awesome. I can't see any gaps. How THICK is the end product?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brown one is the real rocks; they're glued together against the foam back board. Real is better than fake but it weighs 35 lbs. compared to 1lb. for the epoxy rocks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Polygem was $42.75 for a quart of parts A & B; environmold was $19.95 for 32oz. I used about 3/4ths of the polygem and all of the latex so about $52 for the mold not counting shipping which is another $20 or so. It took about 3-1/2 hours to make the mold and an hour to paint and apply the epoxy. I let the latex dry overnight. I've made several of these for single rocks which you can see in the attached pictures, my painting's a little funky. Have made 4 rocks with one mold and it shows no signs of wear. I'm going to try the liquid polygem over the holidays and my cost for epoxy should be cut in half. Time to make will still be an hour or so. I don't think it's ready for retail but once I get the bugs worked out and purchase a larger amount of polygem it might be feasible.
Brian

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts