Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Hi derek,
Lobster roaches are probably one of the best foods i have found. Only drawback is they can climb glass. They produce extremely quickly as long as they are fed well. There is a brush on non stick coating (i'll be carrying it later this year however i believe australianbeardies.com carries it still) that even the tiniest lobster roach nymph cant climb. The nymphs come out about 1/8th-3/16th inch so are perfect for most darts and the adults are 1inch to 1.25 inchesin length and are great for treefrogs and bearded dragons. I raise them in modified 5 gallon buckets (cut a large hole in the top and 2-3 large holes and hot glue screening to them but use a very fine screen). I keep bearded dragons and uromastyx also so i tend to have veggies to give to the roaches(they love zuccini and yellow squash). I also feed a high quality dog food. Feeding them to the frogs i put them in small plastic lids (like the type that seal up mailing tubes) that have straight sides and not graduated as the roach nymphs seem to run around for awhile before finding their way up and out of the dish.

I used to culture hissers but found then only useable for the first or sencond instar before they became too chitinous for amphibs. I used to feed the adult hissers to a male nile monitor and he would love them but the hard chitinous head crest of the roaches would never be digested. I actually had to take a long pair of forceps and remove a roach that got stuck in his throat (it was an old large male hisser). I eventually became allergic to them.

Sean

· Registered
173 Posts
Hi derek and dave,
Lobsters don't fly. At least not in the traditional sense. They can flutter their wings and maybe clumsily fly a few inches but that is about it. They only get their full wings at full adult at by the time they breed the tips of the wings get beat up that they really dont even try to fly. I keep them on egg cartons(like crickets). I came up with an idea for getting the smaller size roaches that works perfectly. I take a piece of 1.5 inch or 2 inch pvc pipe and cut it to 5-6 inches and drill a bunch of holes(1/4 or 3/8 inch) on one third of a side and put an end cap on either end . Inside it you can put either dog food or veggies(a quarter of a zucchi works best) and just stick it inside the bucket of roaches. I usually keep 2 of these per bucket. Just tap them to one end and pop the other end off The small ones just crawl in for the food(and they like the darkness too). I feed these 2-3 times a week to my darts and treefrogs. The baby roaches can be dusted with vitamins(this actually hinders there ability to climb).

Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.