Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was pulling eggs from my tarapota tank and during my thorough tank inspection i noticed a roach, about 1-1.5 inches long inside a piece of driftwood next to the substrate with its rear end poking out. i grabbed some long needle nose to extract the devil creature, but it vanished. under normal circumstances i would remove the frogs and tear down the tank (not too big of a deal.... however these frogs can HIDE! i almost never see them and the tank is arranged in a way which allows for them to stay very well hidden (10 vert). so the problem is i am afraid if i tear the tank down i have a very high chance of accidentally removing the frogs with various tank decor or plants, or worse crushing them because of the way the tank is designed with one large tree stump.

so my Q is... how the hell do i get this thing out! i would catch the frogs but that is almost impossible.

james :(

and a few minutes before this i found what looks to be the first viable egg

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well what is something that a roach would find irresistible? Put that in there and hope it draws the roach out so you can attempt to catch it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I use this method. An 8oz deli cup put lid on it, cut a small hole in lid so roach can get in, use your choice of bait. Place in tank facing so you can see when roach is in it, remove and plug hole, works great.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well its done! i caught both of the frogs in a brom in the front of the tank after the lights went out, and moved them to another empty 10 vert. as for their tank... it will be torn down and put back together soon and that roach is toast when i find it......

james

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey James,

Q: How many cockroaches does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: Can't tell, when the light goes on, they scatter

Good luck finding that little bugger.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a couple of Periplaneta americana in my P. bicolor tank. They didn't bother the frogs themselves. If fact they would stand head to head eating fruit flies. They would eat some of my orchids though.
Anyways, this is how I got rid of them without tearing up the tank. Take a lid with at least a 1/2 inch lip on it. In fact, I also put a larger plate or lid underneath so if any of the mixture gets scattered it doesn't land in the tank. Mix some Borax and suger together and place it in the tank. Do Not leave this unattended. My frogs would get curious and I would have to take it out. The sugar will attract the roaches and will also then eat the Borax. When the roaches are done eating, take it out. Within a day they will be dead. Pick them up and take them out of the tank. Borax can be found in the laundry isle in a grocery store.

You could also have some fun with a Blow-gun.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts