Dendroboard banner

Rinsing off Coco Fiber

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  beady 
#1 ·
After applying my coco fiber to the foam, should I rinse it off after it sets?

#3 ·
I knock off most the excess coco coir then I vacuum the rest after the silicone cures that way I can see where there are bare spots. Once I am happy with the results I make sure there is good ventilation so the enclosure can air out and mist the coco coir regularly to help the acetic acid smell go away.

If I keep the enclosure sealed for an hour and open it up and do not smell much acetic acid I will plant the enclosure.

Ricky

#5 ·
It 's probably just my experience in a colder climate, but when building my one and only viv (so far), I found that the acid smell from the silicone curing didn't dissipate for a LONG time (more than a couple of weeks). There's at least one thread I found on dendroboard that suggested it might actually be the coir that's absorbing the acetic acid, rather than the silicone failing to cure.
It wasn't until I tried "rinsing" the viv with the misting system that things improved. It took about 5 good full false bottom soakings before the pH of the runoff was high enough to be confident the acetic acid was completely removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.