Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm just curious if you guys have any (cheap) ideas for emulating the black or oak plastic trim on commercial aquariums for use on custom glass tanks? At any rate I'd like to hide unsightly glass-work while also creating optimum "transport-ability." I'd rather not slice my hand on poorly-cut glass during relocation if I can help it (by covering it with plastic? haha)

If not, what are some ways to make glass edges look smoother and more professional and ultimately more safely handle-able?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Agreed, a belt sander with 220 grit will take the sharp edges off and leave a clean finish.
I personally use a belt sander as well, but I use 30, 60, or 80 grit. The belt lasts a lot longer when you use a rougher grit. 220 grit disappears way to quickly for my tastes and belts are not real inexpensive when you go through them quickly.

Also, if you miss cut the glass size a little too wide, the you can actually remove glass with a belt sander and a low grit belt. I had to do that once when I cut a piece of glass too large for a window I was repairing. Felt like an idiot having to sand down the glass to get it to fit, but it worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I personally use a belt sander as well, but I use 30, 60, or 80 grit. The belt lasts a lot longer when you use a rougher grit. 220 grit disappears way to quickly for my tastes and belts are not real inexpensive when you go through them quickly.
The belts we use have a pretty good lifespan to them, around 20 vivs worth of glass plus a bunch of other random pieces. They are specialty glass grinding belts though, no the normal wood belts from Home Depot.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The belts we use have a pretty good lifespan to them, around 20 vivs worth of glass plus a bunch of other random pieces. They are specialty glass grinding belts though, no the normal wood belts from Home Depot.
You can get glass grinding belts at CR Laurence, but they only come a dozen at a time. Plus, it is up to the individual location as to whether or not they will choose to sell to someone without a business license.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You can get glass grinding belts at CR Laurence, but they only come a dozen at a time. Plus, it is up to the individual location as to whether or not they will choose to sell to someone without a business license.
That's where we get them. If any DIYers out there need belts in lesser quantities just let me know, I'll be happy to share them at my cost plus shipping.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another option for protecting edges is to use plastic L bar, like this for 90 degree corners (that one is clear, but I've seen black pieces out there). You could use a black RTV silicone to attach it permanently. You can use similar U channel for exposed rims too, which is good for loose glass tops / panel glass. Have not used it myself, but plastic like that is commonly used to frame unsanded-edge glass used in picture frames and sanded glass in commercial displays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts