Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother started into darts approximately in 2008. She found success very fast with her initial pair(Suriname Cobalt). She moved on to D. auratus, and finally D. leucomelas. I always wanted to get into darts, but she would tell me it is a "Rich Man's Hobby". After 2 years she was having little success with tad rearing and she sent home a group of 6 tads with me on a visit to see her(All 6 metamorphed, with 1 suffering from SLS). I am NOT a "Rich Man", but have found it quite easy to find ways to make it work, and with great success. My question is why is this hobby labeled as a "Rich Man's Hobby"?

Take exception to initial acquisition, and feeders(initially), the care of dart frogs can be done for VERY minimal spending. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for the input!

JBear

·
Registered
295 Posts
It is mostly start up cost< after that you can get by pretty cheap unless you have a very large collection.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To expand upon that, some examples would be...

I have done:

-Saran Wrap'd Screen lids
-Use almost exclusively Pothos
-Raid med cabinet for expired scripts pill jars to use as refuge/egg depos/tads depos
-Use backyard leaves(thoroughly inspected, boiled, baked, and microwaved)
-Buy feeder containers(@ .25 cents a peice, 6 a month...) from a local deli(recycling only lids)

Just a few examples...

JBear

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the reason it may be referred to as a "rich mans hobby" is the fact that the frogs themselves, particularly the more rare species often come with quite a heavy price tag.
People often drop their jaws and look very sceptical when i tell them about the price ranges for these "tiny little frogs".

And so, as you mention - the initial cost of setting up a vivarium and buying all the needed supplies and frogs can be very expensive.
In the long run though, once you are up and running it really isent a very expensive hobby in my opinion.
The only recurring expense is basically supplies for feeders along with some electricity and perhaps a few other supplies. Not very expensive at all.
I even think the aquarium hobby would beat us, in terms of recurring expenses.

If you are succesful in breeding frogs, you may even end up earning back a little bit of that initial investment.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree with that also.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
One of the cheapest pet hobbies I've ever heard of. Snake, lizard, bird, and turtle hobbies are way more expensive.

Ever seen the average amount someone spends on one dog? It makes me want a dog a bit less ;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
No way. This is one of the cheapest hobbies Ive ever had. Other hobbies such as R/C cars, card games (magic, pokemon), and even sports, cost way more then the frogging. A typical sports package for TV and even tickets can cost more than $50 a pop. I know people who can spend more then $100 a week on booze and other vices.
After initial expenses, it costs me nothing more then Repashy Icb and a light bill. Theres the ocasional 5$ here and there but other than that, costs are low.
Now, that does not mean that one could splurge a bit, here and there. Mist kings, exo terras, Solartes, it can add up if you let it.

Also I think that in the "olden days" of frogging, things were more costly. Im not sure though, Ed said he used to get BJ pumilios for $16!!!!!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
HAHAHAHA!!! tell her to look up the costs of a reef tank. have the paramedics nearby....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, Reefing is a "Rich Mans Hobby". It seems like you can't get a showcase reef tank without all the bells and whistles that cost a couple hundred dollars each. Fish that you either never see or fish that you watch be beat up before your eyes. I am definitely over the whole aquarium hobby except for my one betta fish.

Frogs can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want. I know I have cut corners, but do the frogs care? Not usually.

Those corals sure do care when they start to melt or wage chemical warfare within your tank. Worst. Most Expensive. Hobby. Ever.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Frogging is more of a middle class mans hobby,orchids were more expensive,lights,water,not to menchion the orchids themselves,I can name at least 10 orchids over 1000,and one over 5000 :eek:
(for the orchid enthusiast,the 5000 dollar orchid is Phragmepedium kovachii)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had no idea Orchids could be so expensive! googled the $5,000 one and it must look better in person.

Dart Frogs can be as expensive a hobby as you want to make it, but I agree that Reef tanks are wayyy more expensive. Water features can add to the cost of the tank, having a glass shop drill holes for a misting system, LED lights, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm not Rich and I've got plenty of happy frogs.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Yeah but the orchids go so well in the vivs... I probably put $200wortu of orchids into every Viv I make. Not cheap, but I do always seem to make my $back selling divisions

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think it starts off being a bit expensive. Knowledge is key in this hobby. If you start off without knowing that most of the supplies you buy at pet stores are the same things at lowes and home depot, your going to spend at least50% more MONEY! Sticking with this site you will learn the tricks of the trade very fast, without it your going to swim with the Sharks and get ate.

What you may want to buy at a pet shop: Hydrometer (though you can tell if your viv is humid by seeing condensation), Woods, Coco Huts, filters and water pumps, automatic misters, heat lamps and pads, substrates, and some plants.

Things you could avoid buying at a pet shop: Temp gauges (buy a temp gun), Lights for plants, most mosses, and misters.

If I left something out do add.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No doubt the reef tank, or fish in general is more expensive. So is the other pets. I did spend quite a bit up front, but you should on any start up with pets to do it right. A dog average cost for its lifespan is over $24,000.00. Thats way more than most frogs in the same time frame. I spent over $6000.00 on my reef tanks before I gave up. Johnny

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
No doubt the reef tank, or fish in general is more expensive. So is the other pets. I did spend quite a bit up front, but you should on any start up with pets to do it right. A dog average cost for its lifespan is over $24,000.00. Thats way more than most frogs in the same time frame. I spent over $6000.00 on my reef tanks before I gave up. Johnny
Thank god I don't like fish, just too much water for me. I hate changing the turtles water....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
hahah this is my cheapest hobby and very rewarding mentally for me. (i consider this my zen garden)

and my racing is by far the most expensive.
the average racing program at miller motorsports is around $30k a year with some FAR more than that.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I call this a more respected hobby but not a rich mans hobby. Its too bad that most look at this hobby as a source of income before even getting thier first darts, why else would there be so much push by new hobbyists for proven only frogs. recently had a new hobbyist on this board tell me no thanks to a pair of 5 month oow sex pair of vanzos because he didnt want to wait that long for breeding, never had darts before but thought he could just take on provens and master them to make money. He took offense that I had already sold the proven pair and offered the juvie sexed pair for half the price shipped which was $150. Its the way we put attention on the frogs, the prices and rarity that drives this to look like a hobby fit for the rich. Will I keep frogs from someone based on whether they can afford them, no but I dont like when it turns into a plan to do nothing but make money off the frogs, if you dont have any interests in just enjoying them sitting in the viv you probably dont need this hobby as these people tend to stress the frogs, over breed them and do not even get or have a plan for cycling the frogs back to rest and do their thing.

We put more work and science into out hobby, that said Id think we are one of the more respected in atleast the herp world.

My most expensive hobby has to be having kids, stopped at 4 of them but will likely pay for the rest of my life..........

Michael

1 - 20 of 142 Posts