1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

They finally got to me.
Wood Gas Natural material Rock Metal

I know what y'all will say... But still have a glimmer of hope I won't have to flame thrower the tank.
Any ideas how to get rid of those f*ckers?

·
Administrator
6,217 Posts
Tear down, bleach/bake everything, rebuild. Works every time AFAIK.

Some people (not all) have reported (limited?) success with certain species of isopods (Oniscus?), drowning them, CO2 bombs.

You didn't ask, but simply living with them is an option. I had them in one of my vivs, now since torn down, that I put unbleached plants into (now, never will I not bleach a plant before using) -- I removed them manually as I saw them, and put that viv on QT (last viv of the day for maintenance, all plant trimmings double bagged in the trash, discarded all viv materials at teardown) and they didn't spread to other vivs.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had them in a couple vivs. I picked them out when I saw them (usually at night) and over the course of a year or so, I don't see them anymore. I imagine they are there, but their population is small I would suggest. Tank is fine and so are the frogs, so no harm no foul to leave them in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean I suppose I could live with them...
Won't they eat my clean up crew?

Regarding spreading to other vivs - it's gonna sound silly - could they simply wriggle their way into a different tank? I have one on the same rack on the shelf directly above?

·
Administrator
6,217 Posts
Yes, they compete with the frogs for food. With most species of frogs (those not dependent on microfauna for food), this isn't really troublesome, IMO.

I doubt they'd tolerate ambient conditions, even if they wanted to roam. Try putting a couple on a tabletop and seeing how far they get (or on a bookshelf and seeing if they travel up) -- that'll help gauge what they're capable of. But they didn't infest my vivs immediately adjacent (touching at the base), so personally I wouldn't worry. But if you are worried, then get rid of them.

·
Administrator
6,217 Posts
lechuza Pon
I've never used it (or heard of it until just now), but their website claims it "a perfect fit for all plants" which is of course patently false. It also contains "added fertilizer" which earns it a big nope from me for viv use (and undermines the 'perfect fit' claim further). Is there a problem with the ABG?

If you're planning on letting the vanzos raise their own kids (which I recommend) you might consider getting those pests out. They'll compete for microfauna, which the froglets should have access to.

Curious, just to reinforce my own understandings: did you add any plants that were not bleach dipped to the viv?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Socratic Monologue the ABG mix doesn't seem to do anything for my plants, half of them had root rot... It seems to have the white fungus/mold on top too. I mist 3 times a day, for 15 sec in the morning, 10 midday and 10 at 6. I run fans 3 times a day too for 10 mins each as I thought it was an airflow issue. I have a false bottom and it seems to be draining okay.

I might reconsider vanzos as I really can't face tearing this tank apart.

Nope, I did not. Bleach dipped every single plant, baked each piece of bark.

·
Administrator
6,217 Posts
Interesting.

@Chris S , do any of your infested vivs have egg feeders in them? I had the most issues with froglets in my infested viv, but N=1 so I'm not sure there's a connection.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Interesting.

@Chris S , do any of your infested vivs have egg feeders in them? I had the most issues with froglets in my infested viv, but N=1 so I'm not sure there's a connection.
The one that had the worst infestation was my Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta" enclosure. They egg feed of course, but are also one of my most prolific groups. I never noticed any issues, but I did notice springtail populations were low, so always supplemented their population weekly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts