Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Awesome viv! I noticed that it looks like you may have removed the screen top and now just have glass? If so, could you show or tell me how. On the couple Exo's that I have, I just had glass cut to fit over top of the screen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Awesome viv! I noticed that it looks like you may have removed the screen top and now just have glass? If so, could you show or tell me how. On the couple Exo's that I have, I just had glass cut to fit over top of the screen.
I used a window screen kit from lowes and made the vent the smallest size I could using the elbow joints supplied in the kit...5" wide or so. I cut the remainder of the lid using 3/16' glass. The glass stops on the top just where the cord routes begin. Good Luck....Joel

·
Registered
167 Posts
I really like all the sculpting and contours you've placed in the background. I also like how you've left a lot of the center not very cluttered and allowed the moss to show off the shaping and water feature. The plants are also fantastic!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's amazing!

May I ask what the background is made of?
Lots of cork rounds...There is a cork bark forest in my home town. False bottom, Maxi jet pump splits into 4 and runs evenly up the back wall and feeds a weir. The weirs force water over points of interests Sphagnum moss helped to get water to wick and drip exactly like I wanted. The rest is Malaysian root wood. I choose the pieces for their character and ability to hold some soil for the Neos. I built this as I would a reef tank. Levels...leverage points and planters. Wood centerpiece balanced at four pints and siliconed to the cork. This thing could withstand an earth quake and not topple. Lots of brown silicone... spray foam to soften all the edges then flocked in Eco-Earth. Styrofoam peanuts to fill the cork rounds...then LCEA...fir bark and then planting media...All planters and cork out croppings had intended plants ie. broms, cryptos, begonias etc.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Some day I'm going to pay you to build one like that for me.

But for now, maybe you could help us "artistically challenged" on how you made so many "levels" of ground? All my vivs are just sloped from one side to the other or front to back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some day I'm going to pay you to build one like that for me.

But for now, maybe you could help us "artistically challenged" on how you made so many "levels" of ground? All my vivs are just sloped from one side to the other or front to back.
It begins in the minds eye. Gather all resources first. Mock up the scape on a sheet on the floor...stack it up etc... Be creative and study up. Look at Takashi Amano's work in freshwater planted aquariums. He follows traditional Japanese values in art that are threaded through bonsai and landscapes. Study the way reef aquariums are displayed on Reef Central. I have been doing this type of thing for awhile now so it isn't 'My first Rodeo'. I believe there is an artist in all of us...some just need prompting to let him go. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.