Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am signed up on the email list of Save The Frogs! because I want to keep an eye on them and their secret mission of destroying our entire hobby. One part of Dr. Kerry Kriger's latest email caught my eye.

"Poison Dart Frogs, Red-Eyed Treefrogs and Fire-Bellied Toads are being stolen from their forests, trafficked around the world and sold to human owners who will hold them as slaves against their will in confined tanks for the rest of their lives."​

I think we can all agree that the unchecked illegal, smuggling of frogs is a terrible thing but the part that caught my eye was the last part that reveals the true motive of the group.

"...human owners who will hold them as slaves against their will in confined tanks for the rest of their lives."

Like PETA and many other radical animal rights groups Dr. Kriger compares the keeping of our amphibian collections to slavery. I hope no one on this board continues to support this radical and dangerous organization whose now plainly stated goal is the annihilation of our hobby.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Well, if my frogs are slaves then they certainly are not pulling their fair share. In fact when I look at the distribution of labor in this relationship I think I might be the slave.

Gotta' go. I'm spending the afternoon rebuilding the drain system for my slaves.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
There are at least 3 other threads archived here in this forum, on that organization / individual, for your reading and judgemental perusal.

Bonus frog points to the first person to corral them all up in a follow-up posting. ;)

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Well, if my frogs are slaves then they certainly are not pulling their fair share. In fact when I look at the distribution of labor in this relationship I think I might be the slave.

Gotta' go. I'm spending the afternoon rebuilding the drain system for my slaves.

*he wrote, as the crack of the task master's whip echoed in the distance*

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The time is ripe to finally release my line of tiny little frog whips!
Doug

Reactions: Oscar

·
Registered
945 Posts
I believe myself to be a slave to my frogs as well! They take up at least 2 hours a day in feeding, egg checking, putting tads in the water, misting, etc

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
"Revealing the truth" I didn't know he was hiding his views about the subject. In fact I thought it was common knowledge by now.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
glass boxes...I actually have 3 frogs now detailing my car (yes the one with the new transmission), and I have 2 female frogs doing windows...and yes they are topless..
what a kook, does he apologize to the cucumber before he eats it?

·
Registered
527 Posts
glass boxes...I actually have 3 frogs now detailing my car (yes the one with the new transmission), and I have 2 female frogs doing windows...and yes they are topless..
what a kook, does he apologize to the cucumber before he eats it?
Did your slave frogs also install that new transmission? :D

·
Banned
777 Posts

I fully agree on this aspect. I suppose my other slaves like my dogs need to start pulling more than their own then.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
My slave frogs are obedient and never talk back.
Nice! My insolent little slave talk back all the time! Seems to be mostly the males...:rolleyes:
Doug

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Rather than just mocking the statement, perhaps we can reflect for one minute on the thousands upon thousands of animals that literally are "ripped" from the wild, suffer unimaginable horrors and high percent mortality in transit, all this just to satisfy OUR insatiable desire for wild-collected and endangered animals.

I, for one, applaud all efforts to end the wild-colecting of amphibians and all animals from the wild. As a hobby, we should be able to prove that we are competent enough to breed all the animals that we need for our own enjoyment OURSELVES.

It is our LACK of success with these frogs that leads to wild-collecting and the smuggling of endangered species such as O. histrionicus and O. sylvaticus.

Just my opinion, Richard.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Rather than just mocking the statement, perhaps we can reflect for one minute on the thousands upon thousands of animals that literally are "ripped" from the wild, suffer unimaginable horrors and high percent mortality in transit, all this just to satisfy OUR insatiable desire for wild-collected and endangered animals.

Just my opinion, Richard.
Since we already do this, how bout we stand up against fools like this who want to do away with the hobby. Yes there are "bad guys" and "smugglers" but why should we allow them to ruin it for "the rest of us".

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
This statement is referring specifically to wild-collected animals, not to captive-bred animals.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It reveals his feeling about our entire hobby. The first part of the statement was about wild collected animals but I feel the last part illuminates his true feelings about keeping frogs in captivity in general.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
"...human owners who will hold them as slaves against their will in confined tanks for the rest of their lives."
Richard, how can you deny, with a statement like this, that the eventual goal is eradication of our hobby? It is extremely obvious that he is against confinement in captivity. It may be about wild caught now, but the eventual goal is pretty obvious here.
Doug

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
His choice of the analogy with slavery was telling. If he only meant wild-caught frogs then he would be saying it would be okay to keep human slaves if they were born slaves using his words.

1 - 20 of 278 Posts