Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic states this thread is about the possibility to reuse your drainage water. I'm wondering if anybody does this or maybe it is a ridiculous thing to do?
At the moment my viv starts the get quit some water that I could drain away, so I thought why wont reuse this water it is a waist to throw away IMHO.
But maybe there are reason to not do this therefore this question.

Advise is much appreciated

GRTZ

Ray

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
There was a good discussion of this lately (though it wasn't easy to find by searching relevant terms, I'll admit).

Reactions: RGilbers

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Related. The in-viv recycle of water in an attempt to replicate an aquaculture inspired nitrogen cycle in amphibian habitated environments, deleting factors that dont occur in fishes habitated aquariums (which are always multiple gallons more expansive) has caused a rabid anti water feature ideology because of the weak points of integrated paladarium type vivs that are all the rage (i guess) on youtube and instacram but, are not sound due to input factors of fauna.

There has even been an offshoot splash of fallout that "water" standing, flowing, present at all, is an absolute Negative.

But, it not the water. Its how its applied.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I do that too. Ive got a little spotted turtle who keeps us well nitrogen supplied. I like using it for that. I think the small corner 'ponds' and other paladaresque amphibian endeavors often 'supply' more ammonia than is healthy for the animals and are too encouraging and uncontrolled with microbial life.

I do think some people are good at them, but its still a wide reaching vehicle for abundancy that dont pick sides.. There are other ways to manage water that can mitigate that greatly but they are not water-thrifty. All animal husbandry pursuits take alot of water in practical use though. It cant be helped.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this type of water you guys would give to your plants?

I can imagine this have a lot of organic stuff inside but it is funny cause it looks pretty dirty. This is about 2L i drained from my viv who is running just for about 1.5 month. And its the first time I drained it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Your best draining faster (weekly)when the tank get's inhabited. For now you can let the water stand longer since the excess amount of water does help the plants to grow ofc. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your best draining faster (weekly)when the tank get's inhabited. For now you can let the water stand longer since the excess amount of water does help the plants to grow ofc. :)
So better to keep the water there. I stored the water but its easy to pu it slowly back

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
So better to keep the water there. I stored the water but its easy to pu it slowly back
No no, it's good to drain! If you want more water for your plants to grow in before there is frogs, you can simply do waterchanges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts