Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - excellent forum format! I caught my male reticulatus transporting two tads this morning to film canisters and I was able to snap a couple blurry pics. It was pretty amazing to see him drop one off then move a couple inches to the next film canister to deposit the other. I wonder what signals, if any, the male gives to the tads so that they squirm off one at a time...cool stuff! Take care,

-=Adam=-

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
awesome

CONGRATS!

Glad even more people are breeding these frogs now-a-days. They are really awesome little guys. I wish you the best of luck raising the tads and froglets :) . Also, thanks for the "blurry pic" of the proud new father. Do you have broms in your tank, or just film canisters? I think the tad just realizes it is immersed in water and releases? I am not sure on this at all, but I am very curious about it.

G

·
what line?

Adam,

What line are you working with? I currently have 2 juveniles from Sean Stewart (SSA line) and am looking to buy some unrelated animals. When and if you are ever offering these for trade/sale, please consider me. ;)

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
BLOODLIE

What does the SSA line stand for? I have some from Sean as well, but I know he has 2 lines going. So we may even be able to help each other out, as I am interested in getting other bloodline as well :) . I meant to ask about the bloodline in my last post, but I guess I left it out... must be getting tired lol.

G

·
SSA

Jonathan,

SSA stands for Sean Stewart bloodline A...I'm guessing there is a SSB as well. You should email him for specifics so that we could potentially swap lines. Take care and let me know what you find out!

-Bill J

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Retic info

Hey guys thanks for the compliments. The pair that I am currently working with are from two seperate bloodlines from Patrick Nabors (F1 and F2, male.female). They are around 13-14 months old and first showed signs of maturity around 4 months ago. Their call is a very quiet buzz, I'll try to capture it sometime.

The question I posed about what signals the male sends to the tads was asked because each tadpole (there were two on his back) released individually into seperate film canisters. If simply being in water were the tadpoles indicator then they should have both released into the same film canister, so that would lead me to beleive that there is more to it than we think. I've seen this happen a few times with my imitators as well.

In a couple months I'll also be working with 6 more retics that I'll be getting from a friend that will be F1 from 2 new bloodlines that no one else is currently working with. Take care,

-=Adam=-

G

·
Adam! Great to see you found the board!
and congrates on the tads! I look forward to talking to you at IAD again.

Benjamin Green

G

·
hmmm

Adam,

I have witnessed this in my vents and in a pair of bri bri pumilio that I had in the past. M guess would be that it's in the tads makeup and instinct tells them that if another tad is first in line, then it doesn;t attempt to be freed. The male if quick enough to leave the water once one tad has swam off. Again, this is all just a little hyposthesis and is in no way intended as any relevant reference. Anyone else want to take a stab?

-Bill J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts