Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cobalts, Azureus, Green & Bronze Auratus, Northern Variabilis, Leucomelas & Vanzolinis
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a few pics of my single retic tadpole's journey from recently hatched to front legs popped. Today I put his tadpole container into his grow-out box so when he's ready he'll be able to make the transition to dry land (moist substrate and leaf litter in this case).

I was really surprised how his coloration went from a faint rash of red to mostly gold until just recently when it began to turn more of a orangish red. I enjoyed watching the coloration on his hind legs form in just the last week.

I hope he's as hardy a froglet as he was a tadpole!

The photos are dated 9/13, 10/8, 10/16, 10/25 and 11/6.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Very nice, I'm sure he will look even better once he loses the tale and finishes coloring up. Do you have any more on the way behind him?
Bryan

·
Premium Member
Cobalts, Azureus, Green & Bronze Auratus, Northern Variabilis, Leucomelas & Vanzolinis
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice, I'm sure he will look even better once he loses the tale and finishes coloring up. Do you have any more on the way behind him?
Bryan
Thanks, Bryan. I wish I did have more on the way, but he's the only one. The parents had laid about 4 clutches (mostly infertile) when I took the clutch this one was in. Right after that, the male that bred him disappeared. He either managed to escape while I was cleaning the viv or he was eaten by a rather large cockroach (a major viv problem here in the south) that I found in the viv when I went searching for him. I was really upset by his loss as was his mate. They were just beginning to settle down into a mating cycle when he went MIA. Since this is the only offspring of my two retics, I've been babying him along the way hoping he'll be a male and that he'll take the place of his dad.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of updated photos. The first is from 11/10. His front legs are really developing nicely. The second is from 11/12. He's out of the water and climbing onto the sphagnum moss. Most of his tail has been reasorbed. Tommorrow I expect he'll transition out of the little baby food container and into the larger grow-out container. What a nice looking little guy :)

Attachments

Reactions: D3monic

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks, Bryan. I wish I did have more on the way, but he's the only one. The parents had laid about 4 clutches (mostly infertile) when I took the clutch this one was in. Right after that, the male that bred him disappeared. He either managed to escape while I was cleaning the viv or he was eaten by a rather large cockroach (a major viv problem here in the south) that I found in the viv when I went searching for him. I was really upset by his loss as was his mate. They were just beginning to settle down into a mating cycle when he went MIA. Since this is the only offspring of my two retics, I've been babying him along the way hoping he'll be a male and that he'll take the place of his dad.
Uurghh, damn roaches!!! I had the same problem a few months ago. I'm pretty sure they're partly the reason I lost a couple of frogs.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, he's now out and about in his grow-out container. He seems to be eating the microfauna and looks pretty healthy. I'm so proud of him :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use crushed-up flake fish food for the first couple of weeks and then I move them onto frozen blood worms. In the past, I've also tried spirulina, tadpole bites and frozen baby brine shrimp. My tads have pretty much ignored most foods except for the fish food and bloodworms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts