Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i purchased a retic from sean stewart at the IADand about 2 months ago it got sick and almost died. but it hung on and now its fatter than ever and doing fine. the only thing wrong is that it had a black blotch on its forehead. does anyone know what happend to it and how to prevent it so i dont have this happen again. thanks

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well retics are a very touchy frog.
What did you change to get it healthy again? Any meds?
The black blotch sounds like a rub to me, but very hard to tell with out a pic. Terribilis will get sratches that turn black and I have a few frogs that always seem to rub color off. I would say it was stressed from the shipment. Good luck with it.

Oh, I know on frognet, a guy is posting that he has retics that get a black spot on them, lose weight and then die. But doesn't sound like that is what you have going on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the top of its head?

i dont know how it would get a rub on the forehead all the way almost to where the red ends in the back. i put it in a seperated plastic container and i put some type of medicine the vet gave me for skin infections or rubs. at first the black bloctch was a dark metalic green. then its black. well atleast a super dark green. but it is now one of my fattest healthyest frogs. but it does seem to be alot more timid now.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you should have said it went all the way down the back, that doesn't sound like a rub. So what kind of meds did the vet give you? If the meds cleared it up then if it was an antifungal then most likely fungal, ect

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For some reason I think that the marks were just the marks they have when they are young.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no

no it is a big blotch and it cant be the marks from when they were younger cus its to big and those had already went away. the back was completly red before this.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had something wierd similar to this hit some of my collection last year. I lost a powder blue because of it. It started as a black spot, then it looked as though it pussed up, like it was necrotic or something. Then she also lost wieght and died. After she started losing wieght, even metronidizol (sp) didn't help her. Doc gave me topical silver nitrate, and when I saw signs of the illness in the powder's mate I applied it and it never advanced as far, and eventually went away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts