Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing a 101gal 36x18x36. It will be dense and well planted all the way to the top, with a water feature. (microclimates) My dream would be to have 2-3 RETF and 2 Auratus. I know the cricket size could be an issue but there are plenty of ways around it it seems.
Would sex of the frogs matter much for size discrepancies or territory? (ie a female dart and male RETF)
Would lemurs be much better than RETF?
Which order of introduction?

If not, milkys seem like a decent blend of the RETF agility and Auratus kind of color/pattern

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Mixing species of frogs is never a recommended practice on this forum.

Do you have experience keeping EITHER of the two species you're planning to mix?

It may seem really large to you, but a 36x18x36" space is tiny in comparison to a natural range for either of these species.

·
Registered
Frogs
1,692 Posts
This is almost impossible to do succesfully. In all the years of keeping frogs, I never seen r encountered anyone doing it succesfully. (Although some would disagree on the defenition of succesfull..) The size of the terrarium you have ik mind doesn't even come close to be able to potentialy pull this off.

The crickets arnt the only issue. The day/night rytm and frogs disburbing eachother is probably the worst.

A waterfeature is also not a good idea for the dartfrogs health.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is almost impossible to do succesfully. In all the years of keeping frogs, I never seen r encountered anyone doing it succesfully. (Although some would disagree on the defenition of succesfull..) The size of the terrarium you have ik mind doesn't even come close to be able to potentialy pull this off.

The crickets arnt the only issue. The day/night rytm and frogs disburbing eachother is probably the worst.

A waterfeature is also not a good idea for the dartfrogs health.
I had auratus years ago and it never climbed at all.. some I have talked to say that the the diurnal/nocturnal pairing is ideal because they each get their own time and the RETF could stay high and away for rest. When you say you havent seen it successfully, have you seen it tried? My plan is to get it going for the RETF and then have window open to possibly introduce darts. The water feature will be small and shallow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@ moderators, is there a way to pin a "universal basics" post to the top of the forum? The post could have a up to date consensus thoughts on species mixing, tank size, water feature, etc. I know these exist in care guides and other posts but they aren't obvious to find for new comers and I think it would cut down on the work the 3-4 of you do

·
Administrator
5,093 Posts
@ moderators, is there a way to pin a "universal basics" post to the top of the forum? The post could have a up to date consensus thoughts on species mixing, tank size, water feature, etc. I know these exist in care guides and other posts but they aren't obvious to find for new comers and I think it would cut down on the work the 3-4 of you do
There are stickied threads at the top of the beginner section (where this thread has just been moved to) and the general dart frog discussion section that address some of these concerns, including many (but not all, not even close) of the 'mixing threads'.

Thanks for the suggestion. These sorts of comments are always welcome. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
@vincecarter size and lighting would be the biggest problems. 36x36 is big enough to that they have room to move around but not so big that their eggs feel safe from predation (stress wise) but lighting is probably the biggest problem. The blue lighting used to replicate the moon is bad for the dart frogs in too much quantity

·
Registered
Frogs
1,692 Posts
I had auratus years ago and it never climbed at all.. some I have talked to say that the the diurnal/nocturnal pairing is ideal because they each get their own time and the RETF could stay high and away for rest. When you say you havent seen it successfully, have you seen it tried? My plan is to get it going for the RETF and then have window open to possibly introduce darts. The water feature will be small and shallow.
Than you did not setup your tank correctly for the auratus. If done correct they will use every inch of the enclosure since it's only a small glass box we keep them in.. in the wild they are found up to 10 meters in trees. Probably did not make enough useable space for them.

The pairing would just turn out in frogs disburbing eachother. The red eyes are also allover during the night, so it seems you've been misinformed on how the animals (should) behave.

The water feauture will almost certainly oversaturate the enclose for the dart frogs. There are plenty of topics here to be found on this.

Yes, it has been 'tried' a numerous times by many, mostly firsttime hobbyist with zero succes.

Every experienced frogkeeper will strongly advice you not to try this for good reason. They animals will end up paying with their lives.

I think we all just want what is best for the animals and offer them the best life possible in captivity. I'm sure you feel the same. 😊

·
Registered
30 Posts
@ moderators, or maybe just a link that takes you to the labeled discussions page. I know I’m on here all the time and I’ve never felt the urge to click the bullet point icon. I just read the most recent posts or use the search bar. There’s so much good stuff on there that is easily searched and clearly labeled but I don’t think most people have ever clicked it. Maybe I’m in the minority but I doubt it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't red eye tree frogs get 2-3 inches large and eat massive prey (for their size)? Auratus (at least some morphs) are quite a bit smaller and rather shy.

So you could actually end up with predation in an extreme scenario...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't red eye tree frogs get 2-3 inches large and eat massive prey (for their size)? Auratus (at least some morphs) are quite a bit smaller and rather shy.

So you could actually end up with predation in an extreme scenario...
AmphibianCare.com and Josh's tree frogs s
Than you did not setup your tank correctly for the auratus. If done correct they will use every inch of the enclosure since it's only a small glass box we keep them in.. in the wild they are found up to 10 meters in trees. Probably did not make enough useable space for them.

The pairing would just turn out in frogs disburbing eachother. The red eyes are also allover during the night, so it seems you've been misinformed on how the animals (should) behave.

The water feauture will almost certainly oversaturate the enclose for the dart frogs. There are plenty of topics here to be found on this.

Yes, it has been 'tried' a numerous times by many, mostly firsttime hobbyist with zero succes.

Every experienced frogkeeper will strongly advice you not to try this for good reason. They animals will end up paying with their lives.

I think we all just want what is best for the animals and offer them the best life possible in captivity. I'm sure you feel the same. 😊
Ambhibiancare.com says it could work, and josh's frogs says it can work with lemurs and smaller tree frogs in over 50Gallon tank, but everyone here says no way. Do those guys have a bad reputation? Im new to the community

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts

Ambhibiancare.com says it could work, and josh's frogs says it can work with lemurs and smaller tree frogs in over 50Gallon tank, but everyone here says no way. Do those guys have a bad reputation? Im new to the community
Amphibian care. Com is a very bad care site. Their poison dart frog caresheet is dated 2008... I don't see where you reference that they say you can house retf with dart frogs .

Relying on a retail company for care information is a paradox: they should be providing good care information howeverver they are, ultimately, motivated by $$$ and will recommend grouping / mixing animals to make more sales.

Can you provide the page where Josh's frogs says it's ok to mix tree frogs and dart frogs?

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
268 Posts
Amphibian care. Com is a very bad care site. Their poison dart frog caresheet is dated 2008... I don't see where you reference that they say you can house retf with dart frogs .

Relying on a retail company for care information is a paradox: they should be providing good care information howeverver they are, ultimately, motivated by $$$ and will recommend grouping / mixing animals to make more sales.

Can you provide the page where Josh's frogs says it's ok to mix tree frogs and dart frogs?
Unfortunately, it looks like Josh’s frogs does say it’s okay (even while illustrating how different their care requirements are). Which sucks, because it’s very misleading to beginner or even slightly seasoned froggers. I’m once again so bugged that they would provide this questionable advice to boost their sales, rather than making a clear cut statement toward good husbandry: Dart Frogs and Tree Frogs, together? - Josh's Frogs How-To Guides

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like Josh’s frogs does say it’s okay (even while illustrating how different their care requirements are). Which sucks, because it’s very misleading to beginner or even slightly seasoned froggers. I’m once again so bugged that they would provide this questionable advice to boost their sales, rather than making a clear cut statement toward good husbandry: Dart Frogs and Tree Frogs, together? - Josh's Frogs How-To Guides
"You shouldn't, but we'll tell you how to anyways" . They also say that ventilation isn't required for dart frogs 🙄

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would say pick one species or the other for your tank if red eyes are anything like my whites they will use every bit of the space which I would think would be disruptive and stressful to the dart frogs.

·
Registered
Frogs
1,692 Posts

It's quite simole.

Imo, AC is very outdatet on their carensheets and JF is only in it to make as much profit as possible since that is what a company needs to do to thrive.. If you read the things they post on this board, it becomes even more obvious.. they only have intent to sell.

The (experienced) keepers here only want to share their knowledge and put their time and effort in helping people for the sake and best intent for the animals and keepers. That is the only benefit gained by this.

Btw, 50 gall is still a very small glas box is you use your common sense. Think of a piece of rainforest enboxed in this dimentions and you'll emediatly realize this is impossible to work.

·
Registered
947 Posts

Everything you have said is wrong. Listen to the people here trying to save you heartache and your frogs lives.

Also, Mods, can we go ahead and shut down this thread? I personally like it when you guys close down the mixing threads before arguments and doubling/tripling downs occur.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts