Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am looking for some collaborators on a research project...
Do any of you allow your frogs in the tinctorious group to take care of their clutches? If so, I could really use your help...

So you know I'm legit, I am a graduate student at the university of Utah studying hormonal regulation of parental care and sexual selection in Dendrobates and if possible could anybody who would be interested in helping me with a non-invasive study of their organisms e-mail me?
my e-mail is: [email protected], if it does not work, try [email protected]

Basically I just need a sample of egg mass (i will explain in an e-mail if i get any replies), some temperature/humidity data. We will pay all shipping costs, etc.

The reason I'm asking is that my colony of auratus (10 pairs) will not breed!!! It is so frustrating....anyway, your responses are eagerly awaited :)

Thank you all for all of your help!
~Ben

·
Registered
545 Posts
Your auratus are all in different enclosures right? If not, that might be the case. If they're in a very large tank then that works too. Your topic sounds interesting. I want to be a biologist when I get older, but study "in the field." Good luck though, keep us posted.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everett,
Yes they are in separate containers, but they still won't do anything :(
Most of this project will be done in the field, but I need more preliminary data before i can start this full scale project.
~B

G

·
I think he is referring to egg moistening/guarding, and tadpole deposition, two of the four parental care steps in Anurans.
j

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I mean moistening/guarding/deposition, sorry heheh had a million thoughts running through my head and i was thinking way faster than i was typing hehehe
~B

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I recently let my cobalts take care of a clutch, and the male eventually transported 4 tads to 2 oz.condiment cups. There was 8 in the clutch but only half survived to tadpoles.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Huh that's odd. I was under the impression that Auratus were easy to get to breed. Well they could just not like the setups. Do you have a standing source of water in the tanks? Like a petri dish or something with water always in it? Sometimes that will encourage the frogs to breed. Not necessarily a tadpole deposition site but something for them to soak in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
auratus breeding

I've found that a temperature drop really starts the auratus into breeding...

If you keep them in the upper 70s then dropping them to the low 70s should do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts