Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been reading through quite a few build threads to figure out the best way to construct the waterfall for my 20H paludarium I am making.

Unfortunately, I haven't found one that goes into detail on how to construct the river/waterfall section directed back into the pond.

Tank will be 20H with 4 inches of water. Front right section of the tank will be exposed pond, with about 75% of the tank land. The tank will have the back left corner completely sectioned off to hold a submersed pump. The tubing will run along the back of the tank embedded in Great Stuff, where it will pop out above the pond section. I just want a trickle down into the pond, or a river. A water feature that doesn't make a lot of splashing noise.

If anyone knows a good thread on the topic or have answers for these two questions I would be grateful.

1) What gph is best for a 20H river/waterfall that has 4 inches of water. I have purchased an $8 pump from amazon that does 80gph to test.

2) How to you direct or angle the waterfall?

- Would it be okay if carve the exact design I want in pond/stone Great Stuff, then use brown Silicone II windows/door/attic then mash in coco husk? Or has that be known to break down?

-It feel like it could easily backfire, but would embedding large pebbles/rocks into the Silicone work, or would the stones pop out or break down? I can then toss a layer of coco husk over to cover any silicone that is exposed.

-I have Aqueon clear aquarium sealant silicone as well, but I fear that would be more visible if the silicone gets exposed since it's clear and shiny.

I plan on posting the build in parts and construction and ask for more directed suggestions, but currently I'm just planning, and the answers to the above questions will control the waterfall size/location/design.

·
Super Moderator
3,020 Posts
Well, my advice (and that of many people with experience in the hobby) is to only do a waterfall if you have to for the frogs. That's the only reason I did mine. I read that Ameerega will breed better if a water feature is in the tank. I have not tried Ameerega without a water feature, but they are breeding in my tank with a water feature, so maybe there is something to it.

The brain damage associated with a water feature is just not worth it purely for aesthetics. There are lots of potential problems, but the most important one I have dealt with is keeping the water where you want it to be. My design, fortunately, doesn't matter very much that the water goes wherever it wants. If you absolutely have to have a water feature, make sure that you plan for the water to go outside the channel and don't have anything that can't get saturated with water in the tank. I use Turface All Sport Pro as a substrate withe leaf litter on top. If I had ABG as substrate, I think I would have had to tear the tank down by now.

Having said all that, here is my thread:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/308770-ameerega-90-gallon-build.html

Finally, DON'T use GE Silicone II. It has ingredients in it that are not safe for frogs. You can look that up in numerous threads on this board. There are safer options. Black aquarium-safe sealant works well. CR Lawrence and Ace Hardware silicones still use the old school, non-organotin catalysts, too (as of the last time I checked). Plan on buying it online because Lowe's and Home Depot don't have a black or brown option in stock other than GE Silicone II, usually. Give yourself a few extra days to order the right stuff online.

Mark

·
Registered
807 Posts
I second everything Mark just said. I see no good reason to add a water feature to a 20g tank. If I could go back and change any of my tank decisions, the only things I'd change would be avoiding water features.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I put a waterfall and stream in my viv but it is a 130g aquarium. Space was not an issue at all. You can look up my build thread here to see what I did. My waterfall goes down a piece of cork and into a stream. In reality the "stream" is just an exposed part of the water under the substrate. I used needle point screen to form it and covered it with small river rock gravel. The water looks like it flows in the stream but it really seeps out into the water layer in the bottom. In a sense, I am not trying to contain or direct the water at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. I forgot to give a bit of information since I posted a bit in the Introductions section of the forum.

I used to own dart frogs back in 2009-2011. I built several tanks back then, but they were on a budget. A lot of the information on skills were learned from this board back then.

I am jumping back in this year with building a 120 (48x24x24) paludarium over the summer months. It will house a few leucomelas for the terrestrial portion, and a few neon tetra (or other tiny community fish that can be found in the same region as the frogs). It will be approximately 75% land and 25% water floor space.

In order to refresh myself, and work out any issues before building a similar design in a 20H so if I screw anything up, it isn't as costly. The tank will become a quarantine or grow out tank. It's fine by me if the waterfall requires a lot of maintenance and set up because I am learning it for the bigger tank.

I was planning on posting in Parts and Construction as I built it. I won't be using silicone/Great Stuff for at least another week. I am not in any rush. Here is my planning and what it looks like right now:

I started by placing posterboard in a rough outline of how I wanted the tank to look. This same basic shape will be used in the 120 gallon.

Here it is right now. I used eggcrate and window screen with zipties for the false bottom. The first hiccup in building this is I don't really know to make a lasting waterfall.

I put a waterfall and stream in my viv but it is a 130g aquarium. Space was not an issue at all. You can look up my build thread here to see what I did. My waterfall goes down a piece of cork and into a stream. In reality the "stream" is just an exposed part of the water under the substrate. I used needle point screen to form it and covered it with small river rock gravel. The water looks like it flows in the stream but it really seeps out into the water layer in the bottom. In a sense, I am not trying to contain or direct the water at all.

I had your thread bookmarked! Using cork might work if I take off the right section of my false bottom and replace it by carving a ledge on the right out of just great stuff/egg crate. That way the waterfall could fall anywhere over the water and it won't soak into the land portion on the left.

Finally, DON'T use GE Silicone II. It has ingredients in it that are not safe for frogs. You can look that up in numerous threads on this board. There are safer options. Black aquarium-safe sealant works well. CR Lawrence and Ace Hardware silicones still use the old school, non-organotin catalysts, too (as of the last time I checked). Plan on buying it online because Lowe's and Home Depot don't have a black or brown option in stock other than GE Silicone II, usually. Give yourself a few extra days to order the right stuff online.

Mark
Just double-checking on this. Thank you on this. I remember when I built tanks back in 2010, the builds might have advocated for GEII. Is my memory wrong or are there better options now?

Will this silicone work? ASI Black Aquarium Silicone Sealant - 10.2 Fluid oz Cartridge

Here is the silicone I have now:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, how should I link images on this board? It looks like most of the Photobucket pictures are now behind a paywall. The imgur links appear broken using the embed image option in posting replies.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Also, how should I link images on this board? It looks like most of the Photobucket pictures are now behind a paywall. The imgur links appear broken using the embed image option in posting replies.
Aquarium sealant is great, no problems there.

I'd highly recommend imgbox for images. Easy, free, no link problems using IMG tags. In fact, after you upload images, they will provide tags to cut and paste!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts