Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as it turns out, I'm gonna be moving to Central Texas early next year before I can complete my dart frog viv. As such, I'm now on the search for my new go-to reptile stores, and perhaps breeders/expos when it comes time to actually bring home some frogs. Anyone got any experience/recommendations? The last Texas expo I went to, I'm pretty sure two thirds of the animals available were ball pythons, and the remaining third was a rogue's gallery of dubious/illegal looking animals from sketchy sellers. Not the people I trust to sell me good frogs. And I've not got much experience with reptile/amphibian focused shops, since my petkeeping days when I formerly lived there, were focused on fish and birds.

I've already written down BioDude in Houston, at least when it comes to stuff like hardscape and perhaps plants, but I'm still as yet unsure where to obtain stuff like food and livestock/cleanup crew.

Any recs you can give are appreciated! I like to buy local where I can, save some pennies on shipping and support good local businesses and breeders.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
* Puts moderator hat on *: these sorts of posts are hard to navigate since vendor reviews are to be placed in the relevant sections of the Marketplace using the expected format there. That said, pointing out local options can be done without actually promoting or bashing a business or person.

* Takes moderator hat off, at least as far as the fool thing will come off *: I really think we need to support local businesses of all sorts, especially animal-related businesses. That said, I don't know of any general reptile stores that I'd feel real comfortable buying frogs from; there are very few I'd buy even reptiles from. The accuracy of identification of species/morphs/locales is generally low for animals that are outside the mainstream (many herp shops can catch a misidentified BP morph; very few can tell a UE thumbnail from an old line animal, and nearly none of them even care about those sorts of distinctions). Biosecurity precautions are very minimal among animals that don't have obvious and common ailments (some shops QT snakes because snake mites are common and easy to detect; I'd wager not one QTs darts and sanitizes enclosures between batches).

Expos have some of the same issues unless you're really good at vetting vendors before you go to the expo. Chatting up a vendor is not sufficient for establishing they don't habitually sell sick animals, or have a smuggling record, or are simply flipping whatever animals they can get their hands on; this last one is very common -- a buyer thinks they're buying from a "breeder", when in fact they're buying from a flipper of one sort or another.

I'd recommend placing a want ad here in the Marketplace when it comes time to get frogs, or PM people here who have mentioned in the past that they work with the species/morphs/locales you're looking for.

·
Registered
763 Posts
* Puts moderator hat on *: these sorts of posts are hard to navigate since vendor reviews are to be placed in the relevant sections of the Marketplace using the expected format there. That said, pointing out local options can be done without actually promoting or bashing a business or person.

* Takes moderator hat off, at least as far as the fool thing will come off *: I really think we need to support local businesses of all sorts, especially animal-related businesses. That said, I don't know of any general reptile stores that I'd feel real comfortable buying frogs from; there are very few I'd buy even reptiles from. The accuracy of identification of species/morphs/locales is generally low for animals that are outside the mainstream (many herp shops can catch a misidentified BP morph; very few can tell a UE thumbnail from an old line animal, and nearly none of them even care about those sorts of distinctions). Biosecurity precautions are very minimal among animals that don't have obvious and common ailments (some shops QT snakes because snake mites are common and easy to detect; I'd wager not one QTs darts and sanitizes enclosures between batches).

Expos have some of the same issues unless you're really good at vetting vendors before you go to the expo. Chatting up a vendor is not sufficient for establishing they don't habitually sell sick animals, or have a smuggling record, or are simply flipping whatever animals they can get their hands on; this last one is very common -- a buyer thinks they're buying from a "breeder", when in fact they're buying from a flipper of one sort or another.

I'd recommend placing a want ad here in the Marketplace when it comes time to get frogs, or PM people here who have mentioned in the past that they work with the species/morphs/locales you're looking for.
Agree with all of this. I highly recommend getting your frogs from hobbyists you can trust.

I don't know what part of central Texas you're moving too. It's been a long time since I was in the area but I remember there was a reptile shop in Temple.
Not a vendor review: If you're looking for somewhat local there is Houston Frogs that ships. Plus several hobbyists and shops in the DFW area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts