Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALERT WI: Dane County Reptile Ban

Everyone who keeps a reptile or other exotic animal in Dane county Wisconsin needs to show up to this meeting TONIGHT!!

The Dane Co exotic animal ban is going to be bought up as a referral from the County Board at the next Environment, Agriculture, and Natural Resources Board on Tuesday Feb 21 at 5:45 pm. Seems they will be trying to sneak this one through on short notice.
This BAN has undefined parameters and NO list of animals effected.
1 Fern Oak Court- Room 208
Madison WI

http://pdf.countyofdane.com/clerk/agendas/EA20120221a.pdf

·
Registered
155 Posts
theres 7 people who control this right now reptiles only have 3 votes not enough so keep signing petions need one more vote

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I spoke with a couple of committee members today on the phone. They were receptive to what I explained and they are happy to hear comments from other people too.

I am going to call a couple of other people tomorrow and then write here again with notes and links where you can find board members' contact information.

The proposed ordinance actually did not make it to the floor during the 6 March meeting, but they will raise it again during the 20 March meeting, so continued public input is important.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
No I think it will be on the agenda for their March 20 meeting.

They've been getting a lot of public input and it sounds like they are trying to make informed parameters for the rules. I haven't had a chance to call anybody else the last couple of days but I will try to soon and write some more notes here.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I was just on the phone again with one of the county board members and I got some updated information.

The current language of the rules is still in various committees so it is not on the agenda for the meeting tonight (20 March).

They received a lot of good public input and it sounds like they used a measured and balanced approach. The rules will apparently affect few or no species of small animal exotic pets. The concerns in Dane County have actually had to do mainly with safety issues. For example, earlier this year a Madison residence where illicit drugs were being sold was found to have a poorly-maintained baboon living in the basement and it posed a danger to the police officers who had to enter the hose. The species involved in current language of rules are thus instead things like really large carnivores and primates and snakes that grow to more than 10' long.

I'll post more updates when I hear more. I am supposed to get an email when they plan to vote on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts