Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Repashy Vitamin A is a critical component for my Bastimentos froglets to develop strong front legs to emerge and survive outside of the bromeliad axel. However, my froglets stopped emerging from the bromeliads around Jan 2022, several weeks after opening a new bottle of Vitamin A Plus at the end of Nov 2021. I ordered a new bottle, and sent a message to Repashy about the suspected issue. It's a great company, with great communication and great products. I'm wondering if my issue is just a coincidence (although nothing else has changed). Has anyone else had an issue (or no issue) with "Vitamin A Plus" from lot #202018 ?

·
Administrator
6,217 Posts
I just opened a bottle of #202018 a week ago, so too soon to say.

The bottle I just emptied was #101842. So far this season, my reticulata are reproducing well, young pairs of egg feeding thumbs are going very strong on offspring, and my tincs have finally started breeding. Some of my older (just few years) thumbs have slowed down noticeably in the last handful of months. My leopard geckos (similar Vitamin A situation as darts, I understand, and on the same supplement schedule) are striking out pretty hard so far this year, though my viper geckos are breeding like mad.

I mention this all since Vitamin A is linked to general reproductive failure (the most recent research on SLS has pointed to Ca/P ratio of the tad rearing water, and the B Vitamins, for example here and here), and my collection's overall reproductive state is presently all over the board.

·
Registered
Frogs
1,806 Posts
Repashy Vitamin A is a critical component for my Bastimentos froglets to develop strong front legs to emerge and survive outside of the bromeliad axel. However, my froglets stopped emerging from the bromeliads around Jan 2022, several weeks after opening a new bottle of Vitamin A Plus at the end of Nov 2021. I ordered a new bottle, and sent a message to Repashy about the suspected issue. It's a great company, with great communication and great products. I'm wondering if my issue is just a coincidence (although nothing else has changed). Has anyone else had an issue with "Vitamin A Plus" from lot #202018 ?
Your problem is not with the VitA+ but your waterquality is if you are experiencing spidy legs. 9/10 to low on Ca.

·
Registered
A 1.0.1 pair of dentrabates tink azerus, a 0.0.2 pair of aruatus green and bronze and a 1.1 pair of
41 Posts
Repashy Vitamin A is a critical component for my Bastimentos froglets to develop strong front legs to emerge and survive outside of the bromeliad axel. However, my froglets stopped emerging from the bromeliads around Jan 2022, several weeks after opening a new bottle of Vitamin A Plus at the end of Nov 2021. I ordered a new bottle, and sent a message to Repashy about the suspected issue. It's a great company, with great communication and great products. I'm wondering if my issue is just a coincidence (although nothing else has changed). Has anyone else had an issue (or no issue) with "Vitamin A Plus" from lot #202018 ?
I’ve had a bottle for a month now and can’t rlly tell the difference

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just opened a bottle of #202018 a week ago, so too soon to say.

The bottle I just emptied was #101842. So far this season, my reticulata are reproducing well, young pairs of egg feeding thumbs are going very strong on offspring, and my tincs have finally started breeding. Some of my older (just few years) thumbs have slowed down noticeably in the last handful of months. My leopard geckos (similar Vitamin A situation as darts, I understand, and on the same supplement schedule) are striking out pretty hard so far this year, though my viper geckos are breeding like mad.

I mention this all since Vitamin A is linked to general reproductive failure (the most recent research on SLS has pointed to Ca/P ratio of the tad rearing water, and the B Vitamins, for example here and here), and my collection's overall reproductive state is presently all over the board.
I'd love if you could keep me in the loop in a couple months, regarding your reproduction after starting lot 202018. Do you have pumilio?

I've been using the same water for 7 years, and the only thing that has changed in my setup was the new lot of vitamins. My Bastimentos were prolific breeders in 6 tanks. But approximately 2 months after opening the new vitamins, ALL 6 tanks of pumilio ceased to produce offspring that emerge from the bromeliads.

I used to have this problem before using Vitamin A and then never had a problem after starting Vitamin A, so in my case, the issue is more likely from inadequate Vitamin A.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your problem is not with the VitA+ but your waterquality is if you are experiencing spidy legs. 9/10 to low on Ca.
I've been using the same water for 7 years, and the only thing that has changed in my setup was the new lot of vitamins. My Bastimentos were prolific breeders in 6 tanks. But approximately 2 months after opening the new vitamins, ALL 6 tanks of pumilio ceased to produce offspring that emerge from the bromeliads.

I used to have this problem before using Vitamin A and then never had a problem in the 6-7 years after starting Vitamin A, so in my case, the issue is more likely from inadequate Vitamin A.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve had a bottle for a month now and can’t rlly tell the difference
Are you breeding pumilio, or other darts?

It took about 2 months for the change to occur, as Vitamin A is fat soluble. Maybe you can update in another month or so, with whether or not you see a change in reproductive output?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it helps I have an episode with Kathleen Higgins (she authored the referenced paper) coming out in two weeks. Try testing your water as something may have changed. An excess of phosphates may be the issue. There may be more complexities with oophaga so it won’t hurt to try an new batch of Repashy as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it helps I have an episode with Kathleen Higgins (she authored the referenced paper) coming out in two weeks. Try testing your water as something may have changed. An excess of phosphates may be the issue. There may be more complexities with oophaga so it won’t hurt to try an new batch of Repashy as well.
I got a new bottle today, but it is the same lot number as the bottle that I purchased 6 months ago. I had requested a different lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts