Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the a few of the Repashy products for just about 6 months. I noticed now when I went to replenish my supply (I know their shelflife is about 6 months), that it helps it stay effective with refrigeration. I haven't been refrigerating the supplements, but will do so this time around.

My question is do you guys think the supplements were still being effective without the refrigeration?

My rotation has been 3 feedings a week. Each time the frogs receive a supplement. The rotation is Herptavite, Repashy ICB and RepCal. What do you guys use?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
RepCal should not be refrigerated. It should be flushed down the toilet! It is made of crushed oyster shell and has too much phosphate to be very effective.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've wondered the same thing about supplements. With how few frogs I have (two) I am going to end up throwing away a lot of the bag in about a month. I wonder though if I split the mix in half when it was fresh and kept one refrigerated and one not, if at this point I could throw away the unrefrigerated half and then go another six months on the refrigerated stuff. Does anyone know how long this will "keep" refrigerated?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Refrigeration may help preserve the vitamins if you also add silica packs to the mixes. Upon removal from the fridge, condensation sets in on the pack's inner walls, which lowers the mix's potency each time you remove it from cold storage. Using a silica pack (found in most vitamin jars) absorbs extra ambient moisture and could slow this process and allow your vitamins to last longer. I am hoping Repashy will start adding this feature to their vitamins as do other vitamin manufacturers.
I am not sure on any official vitamin preservation timetables. It is recommended to replace vitamins within six months, and I'd say that depends on storing them in a cool, dry area (contrasted with not storing them in a warm or humid area).

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Nick, Earthfrog is right, if you don't do it right, refrigeration could actually make things worse. Store most of it in the fridge with a silica pack. Keep a couple weeks worth out at a time. When you refill, do it in the kitchen so your cold stored vitamins never warm up.
I use Repashy Calcium Plus and also SuperPig. The first should really be replaced every 6 months no matter what. Allan Repashy recently posted that the SuperPig can go a year if properly refrigerated.
ICB has been dropped from the name. The same product is now called Repashy Calcium Plus.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
What studies or info are you guys using to come up with the 6 month figure? I know Ed posted studies that pointed toward this a few years ago...but if you do some searches, you'll find that Allen Repashy posted some interesting analyses he had done on his products that, if I recall correctly, shows they are still useable at 12+ months.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
What studies or info are you guys using to come up with the 6 month figure? I know Ed posted studies that pointed toward this a few years ago...but if you do some searches, you'll find that Allen Repashy posted some interesting analyses he had done on his products that, if I recall correctly, shows they are still useable at 12+ months.
If I remember correctly that discussion is in this thread.
I knew that Allan had said his SuperPig was good for a year. I thought he had said 6 months on vitamins but I reviewed that thread and you're right. I'm probably remembering what Ed has said in the past. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I don't keep silica packs in mine, I do refrigerate but my supplements are only out of the fridge long enough to shake out enough for that days feedings maybe 20-30 seconds then right back in the fridge. Condensation is not a worry if it does not site out long enough to warm up I also squeeze out the air that is in the bags from opening it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts