Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, this is probably a topic that you’ve all seen a million times before but I couldn’t find any really specific answers to my question.

I’m looking to upgrade to a mist king starter system in the near future for my Phelsuma klemmeri enclosure and my leucomelas enclosure. Currently I’m hand misting with tap water with added reptisafe, it’s doing the job but leaving mineral marks on the glass.

My question is, if I use distilled/reverse osmosis water to my Mistking, will my frogs and geckos be missing out on essential minerals? I know Josh’s frogs recommends adding minerals to drinking water and water features but I don’t have these for my frogs as the humidity is always high enough and my day geckos have a small bowl but drink most of their water off leaves.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,065 Posts
The upshot of previous posts is that no, you don't have to worry about missing minerals, mostly because the water becomes remineralized as soon as it hits many of the surfaces in your tank. Many of us have used RO exclusively in our tanks to mist for years, myself included. It's unquestionably better for your Mistking nozzles to use water with no minerals in it. Good job not having a water feature. I am not impressed with some of the advice that Josh's Frogs gives out. It's like they never got out of the 90s...

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
You can use r/o, or distilled, to mist.

For the klemmeri hand misting has a great advantage in that you are Present - not just physically but mentally.

They are very astute to rainfall/ misting as they are tiny. Water is a need but can also be an instinctive danger when forceful. They are quick to slip into pockets of situ to avoid direct impact.

If surfaces regularly linger wet too long they can develop microbial growth in lamellae or prematurely soften and rupture the corneum when in pre shed. This especially to avoid with juvenile specimens who are shedding more frequently.

Using an automated mister that blindly douses the whole environment, (or the equivalent in heavy handed bottle misting can also make them fret for their egg deposit locations.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Sometimes klemmeri are misdiagnosed as calcium deficient when it is actually degraded lamellae that presents as an impairment to climbing esp on smooth surfaces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you both so much for the advice, I’ll definitely go down the reverse osmosis route! I suppose in the wild a much larger proportion of their mineral intake would come from diet anyway.

With the regards to the klemmeri, I’ve been trying to avoid misting them directly as they hate it and run for cover as soon as any droplets come their way, their tank always dries out in the upper levels and on their basking spots for a couple of hours between mistings as I had heard geckos don’t like wet feet.
I’ll take your advice and stick with the hand misting for them, like you say I can be a little bit more delicate with them and they’ll obviously appreciate less frequency than the frogs will.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Rain storms are a natural stressor (a natural stressor is a normal occurance ie enviromental pressure) all animals have evolved behavioral adaptations where rainstorms occur to avoid displacement and other hazards that can come with heavy downfall, flooding.

In a glass cube with habitat schematics that are limited spatially and not of their own 'choosing', if the velocity of the mist event is too intense it replicates the dynamic of a rainstorm. Replicating spontaneous rain storms throughout a 24 hr period day in and day out is most likely, a novel stressor - which is a stressor with no evolutionary precedence.

We live in a more is better human world however its important to actually think about impact in closed space and what is actually happening as far as the animal is concerned.

Very important they are able to dry off easily and bask under unrestricted radiant heat. That is, not glassed off.

·
Super Moderator
3,065 Posts
Looking back at this thread, @Kmc 's comments remind me that I should clarify that I was talking primarily about your leucomelas enclosure because I only know dart frogs. I think Kmc's comments were referring more toward the Phelsuma (but I am not sure, so please clarify if I am wrong, Kmc). I don't mean for my comments to be broadly applied apart from dart frogs.

Standing water features of any sort are not necessary for dart frogs. RO/distilled (good addition here, too, Kmc) are better for Mistking nozzles, regardless of who lives in them, but I don't know about Phelsuma with regard to the need for mineralized water. RO/Distilled is fine for dart frogs.

I just wanted to make sure my comments were taken in the right context.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Yes it was regards to delicate arboreals Mark.

Snakes too, that require extra moisture should be mindfully misted, imo.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Im sorry, i meant inperson misting not automated, with some animals.

Unless they are in really large environments.

Per mineralization i still give standing feature toads and guys like whites water with tds. I feel their uptake is significant and warrants it.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
That said i have a snake that has his water dish, yet we have a thing going on where i adjust the pump and he drinks fully from the stream of ro drops. We play Viper Keeper haha.

Interesting and fun thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts