Dendroboard banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why is it so difficult for anyone I date to appreciate the excitement I feel when setting up new fly cultures???
Maybe I should save that for the second date...I don't know, what do you think?

Seriously, what's a girl got to do....:confused:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
well.. maybe we can go out for coffee and we can talk flies :) we can show each other our fly Clutures ;-).... ( i hope i dont get banned for that comment)

I think if you cant show off your cultures, then those guys dont know what their missing!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well that would be your sign if the relationship will work or not.
Lucky to have a wife who like dart frogs and chameleon. I have roaches too and she hates those, where we came from they are considered as pest.

·
Registered
128 Posts
well.. maybe we can go out for coffee and we can talk flies :) we can show each other our fly Clutures ;-).... ( i hope i dont get banned for that comment)

I think if you cant show off your cultures, then those guys dont know what their missing!!

Now that's what I'm talking about:D....I'm so proud of my cultures!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It's all about balance and having a partnership. My GF cleans jars and makes cultures. I watch every show on tv that has a baby in it.

She loves how excited I get about frogs. I love how excited she gets about (other peoples for now) babies.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As a girl who has the frogs (and other miscellaneous pets in the house) I have to say it was actually harder to find a guy who was tollerant of my growing critter collection. As it is, we have a three bedroom house, one of which is my own office, where the majority of my collection resides. My show tank ( a 360 degree view tank with bastis) takes up a portion of the living room next to the fire place, so we can view it all the way around. As is, my partner enjoys all of my tanks as works of art that require minimal care once set up. As to escaping fruit flies, all but one of my tanks is set up to be primarily fruit fly escape proof. There is a joy to screen mesh from REI, super fine, and even keeps spring tales in (for holes located near the floor).

Good times :D

I do say, when looking for a gal, that perhaps you should try to find a tomboy, or one who enjoys snakes/worms/frogs in general on her own, 'cause I know I do. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
like some have said before. those who have significant others that leave you because of your hobby were doomed long before PDF's. the frogs are just an easy excuse and tangible thing to focus on.
someone once told me when i was young that a healthy relationship is mostly based on you being happy when your spouse is happy. i get great joy when i see my wife smiling and happy whether it is watching TV or doing one of our hobbies. my wife has been involved in every hobby and addictive activities i have been involved with. metal detecting, beer can collecting, reef tanks, breweriana collecting, firearms, ( she has her own guns!) and now PDF's. she has her favorite frogs and enjoys just watching them all the time. she doesn't care for making cultures but thats okay.
and my advice for the single people is to not "drop" your pdf hobby into their laps after the fact. you must show them that is who you are, like your family and job. a package deal.

AG

·
Registered
725 Posts
i'm just plain bad with relationships. Every single gf i have had has either cheated on me, completely replaced me (with my best friend), or used me to get back at another one of their ex's, plus all of them have lied to my face about it haha. I guess that's what i get for dating in highschool.

I really cant believe how many people don't know what PDF's are! i was talking to a girl the other day and she had no idea what they even where! She was like "so what do you do with them? Are they like food or something?" I swear the only girls that ever talk to me are either complete idiots, or really ugly, fat, and obnoxious. I have the worst luck. At least my frogs like me..... wait, never mind, they don't....

·
Registered
802 Posts
My wife knows that i put my foot down on the frogs and that they are not going anywhere but where they are now. In return I don't constantly ask her if I can get more (she hates feeling like I spend more time thinking about hobbies than being thoughtful about her...). We have an understanding on this.

That said, if it really came down to her or the frogs I don't think I'd even have a hard time deciding what to do. I didn't marry my frogs after all ;)

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Why is it so difficult for anyone I date to appreciate the excitement I feel when setting up new fly cultures???
Maybe I should save that for the second date...I don't know, what do you think?

Seriously, what's a girl got to do....:confused:

Ruth meet David, David meet Ruth.....

my job here is done :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hit the jackpot and found a girlfriend who, once introduced to herpetoculture, became nearly as crazy about it as I am.

We both love animals and love keeping them as pets. She came from a background of dogs, horses, and small mammals, and I came from a background of primarily reptiles and fish. We've just widened each others' world, and never argue about not having enough space for the animals and their cages, because they are all OUR animals!

We recently received some awesome orange isopod and springtail cultures from Pumilo, and I think that my gf was even more excited about bugs than I was. I feel incredibly lucky.

Now, arguing over the overflowing amount of fishing equipment and tackle, and where to store it.. that's a different issue :p

·
Registered
827 Posts

While the compromise is something I would done anyway with our living situation, it just shows what a cool chick I have. She could of said 4 tanks but knew I wanted to have a varied collection when getting back into the hobby and agreed to the rack system. She's the best! We're best friends and do everything together. If she hated my hobby, I wouldn't be able to enjoy doing it. She's always known a lot about animals and when we met in 2008, she knew I liked frogs and herpetology so wasn't surprised when I got back into it last year. She actually knew some common names when I met her and her favorite was my favorite (Blue Jeans).

If you see my join date here, I left the hobby in 2004-5 I believe, and came to the forum in October 2008. I was all set and ready to go with getting back into dart frogs like I am now. I was single, out of college, and had the extra cash to do so. Then BAM, a friend tells her at work to text me and see if I wanted to chat some time. She liked my picture in his phone I guess. The next week we go out on a coffee date for an hour, and then the night after that we go out for drinks and have been together ever since. This happened a couple of days after Halloween. I had found a guy on the forum to make me custom acrylic tank units and a couple of old friends in the hobby to buy some of my first new frogs from. But once I met her we were head over heals for each other and any of my interests in frogs at the time were not even a thought in my mind. I was on a cloud as that's what happens when you first fall in love. So when I joined and had HUGE plans as a single man, it quickly changed and I vanished until September 2010 when I started setting up a tank and now I'm finally a serious hobbyist again.

With our 8 week old newborn son Quinton, we're very busy but closer than ever and having a blast. Many regular people asked me if the frog thing would interfere with being a father when the baby came, and we both agreed that NOT A CHANCE. I mean how long does it really take to maintain a medium sized dart frog collection daily or be a part of the hobby? It's easy once you have it down to what works. It's no different than a new father having any other hobby. I told this to my father and he said that it's a baby, not rocket science. He is a huge sports fan, high school football coach, and everything that goes along with that. My parents had 4 children that are now 22, 26,28(me) and 31. He said when we were born that he still did everything he usually did and it wasn't much of a lifestyle change. Since I mostly just hang out with my fiance for fun, the only thing that has changed is that I am very HAPPY so I'm a better hobbyist, father, partner, and worker.

While I did add frogs, tanks, art project side business, etc. really really fast in my 8 months back in the hobby all while getting engaged and having a first son, I couldn't be happier and I have the energy and it feels easy to me. With frogs, I knew very early on my short term goals and long term goals I still have. It's like riding a bike.

She actually resisted for a bit but is now a pretty intelligent frogger. Not just that she watched me and knows what's going on....but she can spot health issues, name dozens of latin names and knows how the genus and species thing works. Plus she even knows about the former taxonomy. The surprising thing that I've noticed is that she has quickly picked up subtle things in the hobby that only a trained eye can see....to a new hobbyist, tinc morphs might be pretty daunting and confusing if it's brand new to them. But she can tell see a picture I'm looking at on the forum and say, "Oh that's a nice Oyapok tinc." I'm like, "what the..."

First latin name she learned from a book was Bufo bufo. As a inside joke between the two of us, she always says it in a weird voice whenever a toad is mentioned. Matt Mirabelli was talking to us at a table inside the hotel the night before frog day. We were talking about wild caught frogs and something came up with Devin Edmonds Madagascar talk and I had mentioned all the Boophis spp. tree frogs all of a sudden coming into hobby...of course she said Bufo bufo under her breath in a weird voice. Completely random and Matt kind of glanced over with a confused look on his face. lol

D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thank you for making blush in front of the entire board, Shawn

:eek:

So anyway...how's it going David?
in the third person narrative..**** as David is a bit nervous and shy.. He straightens out..his shirt , drinks a glass of water to calm his nerves.. Keeps thinking of the song " Match maker, Match maker" brought on by Shawn ;-)

The Comdey-geek-nerd David replies to Ruthieb:

Umm.. im Not bad!!! And you??.. So...so... How bout them redsocks.. ... Lol... Joke... Seriously.. I'm doing well. Finishing up my nursing Stint in Boston. I can't wait to get home to my tanks. ( ANY FLIES) Seattle is a very nice city! I am up there on occasion.

What frogs are you working with at the moment?? Let's talk cultures too :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

While the compromise is something I would done anyway with our living situation, it just shows what a cool chick I have. She could of said 4 tanks but knew I wanted to have a varied collection when getting back into the hobby and agreed to the rack system. She's the best! We're best friends and do everything together. If she hated my hobby, I wouldn't be able to enjoy doing it. She's always known a lot about animals and when we met in 2008, she knew I liked frogs and herpetology so wasn't surprised when I got back into it last year. She actually knew some common names when I met her and her favorite was my favorite (Blue Jeans).

If you see my join date here, I left the hobby in 2004-5 I believe, and came to the forum in October 2008. I was all set and ready to go with getting back into dart frogs like I am now. I was single, out of college, and had the extra cash to do so. Then BAM, a friend tells her at work to text me and see if I wanted to chat some time. She liked my picture in his phone I guess. The next week we go out on a coffee date for an hour, and then the night after that we go out for drinks and have been together ever since. This happened a couple of days after Halloween. I had found a guy on the forum to make me custom acrylic tank units and a couple of old friends in the hobby to buy some of my first new frogs from. But once I met her we were head over heals for each other and any of my interests in frogs at the time were not even a thought in my mind. I was on a cloud as that's what happens when you first fall in love. So when I joined and had HUGE plans as a single man, it quickly changed and I vanished until September 2010 when I started setting up a tank and now I'm finally a serious hobbyist again.

With our 8 week old newborn son Quinton, we're very busy but closer than ever and having a blast. Many regular people asked me if the frog thing would interfere with being a father when the baby came, and we both agreed that NOT A CHANCE. I mean how long does it really take to maintain a medium sized dart frog collection daily or be a part of the hobby? It's easy once you have it down to what works. It's no different than a new father having any other hobby. I told this to my father and he said that it's a baby, not rocket science. He is a huge sports fan, high school football coach, and everything that goes along with that. My parents had 4 children that are now 22, 26,28(me) and 31. He said when we were born that he still did everything he usually did and it wasn't much of a lifestyle change. Since I mostly just hang out with my fiance for fun, the only thing that has changed is that I am very HAPPY so I'm a better hobbyist, father, partner, and worker.

While I did add frogs, tanks, art project side business, etc. really really fast in my 8 months back in the hobby all while getting engaged and having a first son, I couldn't be happier and I have the energy and it feels easy to me. With frogs, I knew very early on my short term goals and long term goals I still have. It's like riding a bike.

She actually resisted for a bit but is now a pretty intelligent frogger. Not just that she watched me and knows what's going on....but she can spot health issues, name dozens of latin names and knows how the genus and species thing works. Plus she even knows about the former taxonomy. The surprising thing that I've noticed is that she has quickly picked up subtle things in the hobby that only a trained eye can see....to a new hobbyist, tinc morphs might be pretty daunting and confusing if it's brand new to them. But she can tell see a picture I'm looking at on the forum and say, "Oh that's a nice Oyapok tinc." I'm like, "what the..."

First latin name she learned from a book was Bufo bufo. As a inside joke between the two of us, she always says it in a weird voice whenever a toad is mentioned. Matt Mirabelli was talking to us at a table inside the hotel the night before frog day. We were talking about wild caught frogs and something came up with Devin Edmonds Madagascar talk and I had mentioned all the Boophis spp. tree frogs all of a sudden coming into hobby...of course she said Bufo bufo under her breath in a weird voice. Completely random and Matt kind of glanced over with a confused look on his face. lol

D
This is awesome!!!! Loved this!!! You have a great life!!! No question!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
David, that one would have left you sooner or later anyway ;);)

Enjoy the hobby, it wont get bored of ya :p

[teasing of course....]

No doubt about that!! ;-) I even asked her if it was the Size of the frogs that bothered her. She said" baby. Im not hung up on size. Just how many ;-) .. Bad joke..

On a serious note though. The hobby has really pulled me through. Everyone ( and I mean everyone on Dendroboard has been very cool!! Easy to talk too! And it's helped me over heart break. And yes.. I will pay homage to the dendroboard girls in a
non-sexual-descrimination-i-could-go-to-court- kind of way. You girls are bad ass!! Easy to talk too. Smart, and funny.

I love the ideas. Things I'm learning. I'm learning more now, then when I started n 2007.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's a never ending battle. There's only so much space to go around and it's a duel between the frog tanks and the reef tanks LOL but seriously we're both huge nerds with our respective hobbies and we have the electric bill to prove it. And I even get a frog room in the next place.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts