Dendroboard banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
That's great LOL.

My first go around w/ dart frogs was put to a halt about 5 years ago by my then girlfriend. *Unfortunately I put her first. Now many "moons" later, I'm with an amazing woman, who loves all animals (including snakes) and she actually helps with the business. * Score!
Very cool Aaron. BTW. Same thing happened. We Broke up and i left for Germany ( I'm jealous... In a good way for your new found mate! )I guess I have to date girls I see at the conventions.

I'm still in Boston. I have to finish my (slave labour ) Research and marketing with Pfizer. Leave in 2 weeks. ( I have not forgotten about the 20 gallon kits) when I get back. I'm ordering 3 of them!! I saw your kits a DJBoston house.. Nice work!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I saw this thread so I decided to ask my girlfriend what she thought of my frogs. She said she likes them and finds them intresting. She also said she is just glad I have a hobby and that it is a legal one haha. That works for me:)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Haha I've completely given up trying to find someone that finds what I do interesting or appreciates the passion I have for it. I always get the old.."Oh yeaaaahhh, thats c-cool...". lmao whatever :S

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Haha I've completely given up trying to find someone that finds what I do interesting or appreciates the passion I have for it. I always get the old.."Oh yeaaaahhh, thats c-cool...". lmao whatever :S
Dude...That's hilarious!!! I bet when you are trying to explain something. Or expressing your passion in detail To those who really don't understand ( or not in the hobby)

Its that same blank stare as I get when they say.." oh wow... that's.. That's nice.. It's so green" when their tone is really saying " I don't get it.. It's frogs"

·
Registered
321 Posts
Lol to above 2 posts ^

I'm in the same situation. I've had them like the whole tropical look but once they figure out how much work and money is invested they are like thats's c-coool.

I'd love to find a zoologist :)

+1 for dating website

·
Registered
128 Posts
Love the last two posts!
It's getting kind of old always hearing the "that's c-coool" myself....let alone the "I don't get what the attraction is"
I gave up a while ago....oh wait, I've gotta go! Im meeting someone about a tank they're selling - 55 gallon on a wrought iron stand. $40.00!
Now that's a date I can't pass up :cool:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I just never cared what kind of hobby I was into or figured it into how woman would react. Honestly, you either have game or you don't lol :cool::p

Just kidding guys...sort of lol I guess what I mean is that woman like confidence. But they don't understand guys and hobbies so you have to definitely play it right.

Men's have hobbies. A woman's hobby is herself. Hair, nails, cloths. They invest in themselves and the only return is a constant battle between other women who do the same lol

Obviously there are exceptions and some woman aren't like that and have hobbies, even frogs. But in the dating world, especially in your 20s, it's really apparent.

Maybe I got lucky. The first date for anyone is usually such a false event. You don't go on the date, you basically send a representative of yourself and it's totally fake and contrived. When I met my fiance, it was the first time I just acted like myself. In 3 years we've barely been apart a single day. Best friends. I think I just got lucky and if something feels forced and you have to drop your hobbies, you'll never be happy with this person in the long run. You also need to know that even if she supports your hobby, often to keep an even keel, you need to play it off like it's not a huge deal and just enjoy spending time with her. As long as my frogs are cared for, I always take days where I take care of my frogs for 15 minutes, then totally drop internet and any talking about frogs. When I do that, it's usually her that says something like, "hey was that your vittatus calling??" or "wow your bassleri are growing fast!" lol

True story.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I dont bother but im 15 :) All my friends that are girls that see me on dendroboard just call me a dork so no luck there :( and my best bud just goes are you done talking yet when i'm explaining things to him of course its an exageration because he goes JK but it still pi$$es me off other then that no one really finds it interesting and GRIMM I get the same thing to ( them frog haters)

·
Registered
401 Posts
My boyfriend doesnt like my frogs, but hes happy that I have my own hobby. He calls me a geek and hates going to the shows with me. I bribed my cousin to go to frog day with a trip to IHOP. His hobby is his racecar, I love cars and racing so I guess that I share his hobby with him. But when its time to take care of the frogs I vanish for a few hours... he enjoys the peace and quiet. I would probably drive him crazy if I didnt have my frogs and he knows it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yea I think I'm going to try something a little different than most of what you guys have been saying... because the last few relationships and dates have been with people I met in the reptile hobby... and yea... they were all crazy. And not in the "fun" way either. I mean I've been called that a few times myself with some of the more ridiculous things I've done "in the name of science", but seriously... I think I'll be OK if my next few dates say something like "oh thats nice or c-cool".

Just wanting to meet a normal chick. I mean what IS it with these San Antonio women?

Oh your interesting and hot, but you've got a coke problem...

You're neat and fun, but are jobless,degreeless with zero ambition...

You're a cute one, but are "vegan" and force yourself to hurl in public at a black-tie event after eating a gyro and curse my name mid gags for not warning her it had lamb. Its a gyro. Duh! (Besides she didn't tell me she was vegan, because wouldn't have asked her out!)

Oooh ooh my favorite was the one who looked normal but turned out to have full body tattoos all across her chest, back, and legs. EVERYTHING pierced and had Tourette Syndrome. That got entertaining quick. LOL

So yea, I'm taking myself OUT of the dating pool because I can take a room full of women and find the ONE insane one and try and date her. At this point I think its just me.

Besides, girlfriends are expensive, and new rock molds don't break into your house steal your lab notebook, swim-trunks, and robe. (Yea thats all she took. Like I said, crazy chicks.)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yea I think I'm going to try something a little different than most of what you guys have been saying... because the last few relationships and dates have been with people I met in the reptile hobby... and yea... they were all crazy. And not in the "fun" way either. I mean I've been called that a few times myself with some of the more ridiculous things I've done "in the name of science", but seriously... I think I'll be OK if my next few dates say something like "oh thats nice or c-cool".

Just wanting to meet a normal chick. I mean what IS it with these San Antonio women?

You're a cute one, but are "vegan" and force yourself to hurl in public at a black-tie event after eating a gyro and curse my name mid gags for not warning her it had lamb. Its a gyro. Duh! (Besides she didn't tell me she was vegan, because wouldn't have asked her out!)

Oooh ooh my favorite was the one who looked normal but turned out to have full body tattoos all across her chest, back, and legs. EVERYTHING pierced and had Tourette Syndrome. That got entertaining quick. LOL

So yea, I'm taking myself OUT of the dating pool because I can take a room full of women and find the ONE insane one and try and date her. At this point I think its just me.

Besides, girlfriends are expensive, and new rock molds don't break into your house steal your lab notebook, swim-trunks, and robe. (Yea thats all she took. Like I said, crazy chicks.)
I wasnt going to quote the whole thing... but... Its all pretty damn funny! I'm sorry for your horrible experences. I'm sure you'll find a good one if you stop looking :D We arent all that crazy.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I always find that people at first look at me like I'm a little strange and just nod their heads when they hear about my frogs. But, later...when they are actually AT my house and SEE my frogs they become quite interested. Lots of fascination and questions then! :)

When I first got started in this, my husband (of course) simply humored me and shook his head when he heard I spent a couple hundred on this pair or that pair. He was fascinated though when I talked about them...loved how I got so excited! As time went by, he slowly became more and more interested in them himself. He still wouldn't put the money into it that I would (if I had it), but now...he's trying to take over! He's been stealing my imitator eggs and raising them himself!!! He's very much into all of the eggs and tads and calls them his babies and checks them every morning before work and every night when he gets home.

Can't ask for more than that! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rc-"If she can't accept you for who you are it's not worth it...now if she says you can have some but not 40 tanks then that's on you...I would down size "

Depends on how she herself is, weigh your options, form a sort of... bargaining with her and think, well shes an 8/10 on my list, so I should deserve a few more tanks. Something like that. Jk haha If shes right for you, youll know it, and most likely she wont care, if she did shed love ya enough to pretend not to, then hang around you enough to be infected by the dendrobatid. Good Luck!

·
Registered
483 Posts
When I first got started in this, my husband (of course) simply humored me and shook his head when he heard I spent a couple hundred on this pair or that pair. He was fascinated though when I talked about them...loved how I got so excited! As time went by, he slowly became more and more interested in them himself. He still wouldn't put the money into it that I would (if I had it), but now...he's trying to take over! He's been stealing my imitator eggs and raising them himself!!! He's very much into all of the eggs and tads and calls them his babies and checks them every morning before work and every night when he gets home.

Can't ask for more than that! :)
So cute!

My fiance likes the frogs, he just doesn't know much about them.

He is however, completely in love with my Hog Island Boa. After I bought her, she was at his house within the month and lived with him an hour and a half away. He got to name her Madrid (Maddy) because Spain won the World Cup. They both just moved back in. I call her his Princess.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah... we aren't all like that. I promise there are some sane women out there who actually like animals. I have dogs, cats, horses, fish and FROGS. My husband likes them, but I don't tell him what I spend on them. If he knew what I spent on my pair of wild caught cobalts, he would freak... And now I'm getting our 5 year old into it. He's doomed... LOL

Course, I had to tolerate 500 + tarantulas in the apartment, including a few LARGE ones that got loose, and a smaller one that was loose for over a month... I found it... and I'm a bit arachnophobic...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)

ok..... seriously...you know what!! ( picture this) I am in a meeting with four Doctors and seven Registered Nurses. I pulled open my iphone, looked at this post, and seriously busted up!! .. the room all draws their eyes to me, some not pleased)... thanks. I have to change my white lab coat. coffee....HOLY FUNNY!!

yeah. I have given up on chicks!! agreed!! ( i could be in a room with huge group of smart, great personality, intelligent attractive women who are just down right AWESOME!!!) but all of these are either taken, or the other side of the country.

all the ones i seem to attract are either young enough to send me into a statutory weekend, or old enough to be my Grandma who want to cheat on their husbands. They either want a sugar daddy, stick the " white powder up their little button noses" or " comparing each other to why they so look good from either eating less or just barfing more" and my frogs and 5 vivarium setups are an issue because???

LMFAO over the vegan thing. This girl told me "why Pork tastes so bad no matter how you cook it". after 20 minutes of back and forth, and i was fed up with being an " animal killer" i was like " tammy, i think pork tastes so bad because you need to take off the rubber, before you taste the meat" LOL I brought this chick home . everything seemed normal until she opened her mouth. ( her entire tounge was tattooed and pierced ) she was like " oh.. those frogs are so sweet" but when it came time to come up close to the tanks. then the famous... "EEWW" came out. yep. my IQ just dropped 10 points. I GIVE UP!!

if I see a girl kiss a frog. shes the one im going to marry. because thats exactly what I am.

·
Registered
448 Posts
" tammy, i think pork tastes so bad because you need to take off the rubber, before you taste the meat"

LOL Thats hilarious! Yea that one is going to get me into trouble if I remember it. I just know it.

Sorry about the white coat, but what the heck are you doing surfing dendroboard in a doctors meeting?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
" tammy, i think pork tastes so bad because you need to take off the rubber, before you taste the meat"

LOL Thats hilarious! Yea that one is going to get me into trouble if I remember it. I just know it.

Sorry about the white coat, but what the heck are you doing surfing dendroboard in a doctors meeting?
:) well, hopefully you will not get into too much trouble. LOL

the meeting was almost over. I was just so bored. They were going on and on about data research, drug interaction ( peak, onset and duration of an HIV medication therapy)... ect.. so kept the phone underneathe the table. and read your comment. the funny part was. An older Dr in his 70s afterwards was like (who BTW doesnt own a cell phone) says " why did you think your crotch was funny??".....OK... time to retire DOC

41 - 60 of 80 Posts