Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
That sucks bro....I have been there with an old girl friend and my marine reef hobby. She didn't want me to bring it to "our" apartment but wasn't a chance in hell that was happening.

We did end up breaking up due to many issues but one was the amount of money I was spending on corals. For months before we broke up I started having problems with my reef. Algae growing out of control corals dying, little did I know is she was/had dropped pennies into the back of my rock work slowly releasing copper into my system. I didn't find that out till it was broke down and I was moving out....I am now married and the reef display was not a problem nor the money I spent on it....The reef is now a main vivarium display and she loves the frogs and don't care that I have added a rack system to the basement and many frogs soon to come....

It will get better man, atleast you still have your frogs...Maybe the next one will like the frogs and not care.
that is one f-ed up ex!! i'm glad you found someone who can appreciate your passions!

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'm new to all this, but definitely hooked. my boyfriend just asked me yesterday if he was being replaced by frogs. lol i figure he has baseball, and i have frogs. we both find time to enjoy the other person's passion. so far... lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife is very supportive. She knows it makes me happy. She did not even get mad when I took the workout room and converted it to a frog room.

The mother-in-law on the other hand...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sometimes the frogs are just an expression of other things wrong in the relationship ---if you are willing to work on those things first than it may be a bit easier to except the frogs for them!Anyhoo my relationship is doomed so who am I to say whats good!
Allyn

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am sorry for all those who had relationships suffer due to frogs. Luckily my girlfriend tolerates all my frogs and tanks. I've warned her about how much I plan to expand and she doesn't mind. I just have to make sure I pay attention to her too. Take your significant other on a vacation and they will forget all about the collections we keep, until we find a frog on vacation :p

·
Registered
294 Posts
My husband loves the frogs, but has suggested that I might be running out of room in the kitchen. He even feeds them when I'm out of town.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a single guy, but the frogs always seem to be a lot more of a draw than a problem. On the other hand, that might have to do with most of my frogs not actually being in my house....

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have been down this road with a few girlfriends in the past. Relationships are all about compromise. My wife is a clean freak and when we bought our first house together the frogs were an issue. I had to downsize. My wife likes the frogs, she just doesn't like the obsessive behavior and the racks and racks of tanks. If your girl wouldn't compromise on something you love then she was no good for you anyway. Be lucky it wasn't further down the road.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not to get overly psychoanalytical, but if the frogs aren’t an unhealthy obsession (the keeper spends ALL time, money, and effort on the animals at the expense of all else; including a job) and the spouse or boy/girlfriend is overly critical it’s often just a metaphorical vehicle. There are deeper undercurrents of turmoil there that are the true problem. The frogs (or, often times, any hobby) are just a convenient focal point to base conflict upon, thereby expressing those dark undercurrents.

Look for a spouse or boy/girlfriend that can be happy doing their own hobby, or sharing in yours. You both will be much happier in this kind of healthy relationship.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
AZUREL:

Lemme get this straight--Are you suggesting she was dropping pennies into the tank deliberately? As in, out of spite?

(I so hope the answer is no...)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ya gotta find the right gal, I had the love of frogs for a very long time .. way before I met my wife. So, she knows her role!!.. (oops, j/k hunny, LOL).. She enjoys the frogs and now I got my daughter hooked from day 1. She was a few months old when we went to our first IAD show. I have a few frog rooms in my home. As long as I stayed out of the bedroom (with the exception of a very loud tomato frog, LOL) and living room. She was cool with it. I also keep her happy with her addictions: Coach, Dooney & Bourke handbags and Birkinstock sandals.. So, basically I purchase a new trio of lamasi and she gets a new Coach handbag.. My 6-year old daughter is also a junior herpetologist and earns her living helping Daddy in the frog rooms and making fruit flies, so if she's on my side.. her momma better be too...

Peter Keane

·
Super Moderator
3,349 Posts
Sorry to hear that.I am fortunate that my wife was a zookeeper and loves our frogs as much as I do.We have tanks literally all over the house.I guess you would call it a frog house :D She complains rarely about the occasional escapee bean beetle or ff,but she is very good about all the feeders I raise.I found the trick is to have her pick out frogs that make her happy which keeps her more interested in the hobby.I do all the work and she enjoys.I wish she could have went to frog day with me(but it probably saved me some cash lol )
Keep looking they are out there!
Lou

·
Banned
1,573 Posts
Glad to see that I'm not the only single person who has had issues with their exs over this. I can down size to three tanks but never going to be 100% with out my frogs.

Maybe someone should start a PDF online dating site...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Glad to see that I'm not the only single person who has had issues with their exs over this. I can down size to three tanks but never going to be 100% with out my frogs.

Where do I sign up?

:cool:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)

How's this for an ad " SWM w/ PDF & 5 VIVS seeking SWF who loves PDF. not into S&M w/ BMW... Lol.. Ok.. Just scratch that!! LoL

·
Registered
116 Posts
The whole Reptile thing in general has me going through an upcoming Divorce.......It was doomed to fail anyway, but that was the quick way out ( read excuse ) for her.......

The one I have now could care less about what I keep......She supports me in what ever I do, and I couldn't ask for more.......When she gets crapped on by what ever she wants to handle at the moment, she's a Trooper about it..........

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
How's this for an ad " SWM w/ PDF & 5 VIVS seeking SWF who loves PDF. not into S&M w/ BMW... Lol.. Ok.. Just scratch that!! LoL
That's great LOL.

My first go around w/ dart frogs was put to a halt about 5 years ago by my then girlfriend. *Unfortunately I put her first. Now many "moons" later, I'm with an amazing woman, who loves all animals (including snakes) and she actually helps with the business. * Score!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts