Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my terrarium ive got two 18" standard aquarium fixtures. They produce OK light but if i could find some fit in reflectors, im sure that the amount of light would be drastically increased.

So my question is does anybody know of anywhere where i could get a GOOD quality reflector that could be fit into the existing fixture?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
check the links page on this site for ah supply. Their reflectors are designed for power compacts, but work great for reg. flourescent bulbs also.

·
Registered
73 Posts
substitute for a reflector

Why don't you try using a sheet of reflective mylar? It is much, much cheaper than buying a reflector and can be just as effective. Just cut it to fit your light fixture. It is widely sold for indoor growing purposes.

Sal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get polished aluminum flashing from home depot, have someone with mathcad print you out a nice parabola, and shape you own :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Flat white paint is also supposed to be a great reflector . . . according to some indices, it is almost as good as the MIRO at reflectivity (2-4% difference).

I like Joe's idea of the polished aluminum flashing in the shape of a parabola--is the aluminum really that well polished (I've never seen it, just asking).

Apparently the best shape is an almost double parabola (in the shape of the McDonald's double arches) with the middle point only coming down part way. That way, more of the reflected rays are reflected around the light source itself rather than being reflected back into the bulb. Yes, I have thought about this way too much, but what else are you going to do on the commute? :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts