Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on setting up a high end 16 gal bow front tank.

I am into the reef lighting systems (powercompact, halide, etc), and was curious as to their application with frogs.

Specifically, I want to purchase the Current Dual Satellite 2x40watt powercompact lighting hood. Obviously it has the two 40 watt bulbs, but also built in cooling fans and LED bulbs to simulate moonlight.

What I am wondering is will the LED's become a stress issue for the frogs?
I know the main time of calling is dawn and dusk, and I figure, when timed correctly, one could use this to their advantage to draw out a simulated dawn and dusk. On the other hand, I figure having light in the terrarium 24/7 (though small amounts) may become stressful to the inhabitants.

Anyone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am setting up a 37H and have just found out that 1 55W is plenty. For your 16, you might want one bulb. I am going to use a 1W moonlight bulb I had on my reef but only for an hour or two after the lights go off. This will give the frogs the dark they need.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If there is a fan to keep the fixture cool during the day, i see no harm in using 2x 40W.

The LED isnt a concern either. I have only use LED's to view nocturnal animals, so i dont see why youd use it when the frogs arnt active. However, again i see no harm.

M.N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good, I think I am going to go ahead with it.

I am not worried about the heat/intensity from the lights. At the zoo I believe we are running quad 96W powercompacts on a 60 gallon, and the result is simply jaw dropping.

·
Administrator
8,781 Posts
Warning regarding these setups. I've been using them while helping someone to care for their tanks while they were out of town.

Those lights put off an amazing amount of heat. I supposed it's likely the case with CPF of any sort, but those things were very warm.

My basement AC ran 3 times more this summer than the prior couple summers. This happening even though this summer was, on average, considerably cooler than past summers.

If you've used them before (even for reefs) you're aware of this.

Just sayin'

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if there is an issue I can purchase the $5.99 risers that mount it for more of an "open air" feel above the canopy. I just didnt want the reflection, but may need it.

Also, anyone know where to get a glass canopy that fits a 16 bow ?

thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've got an AG 55W power compact over my 20 gallon azureus tank. The fixture has no built in fan, so it does get hot. I put it up on risersthis summer out of necessity, which did help with airflow through the fixture and did help keep the tank cooler by three or four degrees.

I haven't ventured to LEDs yet on frog tanks, but they do look nice on my reef.

PS: There seem to be a fair number of reefers on this forum. Wonder why we all like frogs and reefs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
lights

For the question on were to get your glass canopy .. If you have a pet store near by you can ask them for a versa top that will fit your tank if you are on the west coast the pet store should order from central pet,,,As well if you live on the east coast ask them if they order from cahway inc...they should have it for you as well...Or you can go to a glass shop adn have it cut..depending on what hinges you get you can get a piece of poster board flip your tank over and make a template just subtracting your hinge width as well as the lip of the tank...just a couple of ideas for you..ps i just set up 24 more saltwater tanks in my store.... :wink: Anthony

·
Registered
704 Posts
PArt of this was also discussed over on the "Advanced" board, here's the link over to it: http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12068

As I mentioned over there on my thread, the SunPaq's Current Dul Cf fixture with "Lunar Light" is well made and a real nice looking fixture. I looked at one last weekend at a pet shop and had the sales person pull it out of the box and turn it to make sure how they operate.

Two Thumbs Up!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DartMan said:
PArt of this was also discussed over on the "Advanced" board, here's the link over to it: http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12068

As I mentioned over there on my thread, the SunPaq's Current Dul Cf fixture with "Lunar Light" is well made and a real nice looking fixture. I looked at one last weekend at a pet shop and had the sales person pull it out of the box and turn it to make sure how they operate.

Two Thumbs Up!
Cool. So while no one knows for sure what Darts do under the moonlight the consensus is that it probably won't do any harm? I may try one on my Phyllomedusa sauvagii and use it for viewing first. Think you could replace the standard Fluorescent, on say the 24" unit, with a UVB Fluorescent?
I still can't seem to figure out whether Darts benefit from UVB re: Calcium uptake or not. I just ordered some Miner-al indoor just in case.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run JBJ powercompacts on my two 16gal bowfronts, look great, actually the high heat output (and its high) seems to keep the temp about 78-80 degrees in the tanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts