Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a group of 4 cb blue-back reed frogs (Heterixalus madagascariensis), that seem to be doing well. There's not as much info on these as I'd like so I'd love to hear about people's experiences and/or advice for them. They're my first terrestrial frogs so I'm not super confident.

·
Registered
A pair of Azureus, two Theloderma Bicolor, 4 Santa Isabels
44 Posts
I've been interested in learning more about Reed frogs as well, could you send a picture of their tank?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love reed frogs and personally think they’re highly under-rated. I keep blue backs as well and personally keep them in a half land/half water setup. Since they are found in riparian zones, I have found they really thrive best with access to a large water area, particularly with pothos or another broad leafed plant overhanging the water.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, they really do well with some access to a water source. Other than that, your setup looks pretty good. Super awesome frogs! I agree, totally underrated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep blue backs as well and personally keep them in a half land/half water setup. Since they are found in riparian zones, I have found they really thrive best with access to a large water area, particularly with pothos or another broad leafed plant overhanging the water.
It’s hard to tell bc of how I built the tank but most of the back half of the tank is a water area, that monstera on the right is growing in/above it. I rarely see the frogs go in the water, but they really like hanging around it and the attached waterfall. I just had to take the whole bottom of the tank apart to remove tadpoles (they got into my drainage layer 🙃) and plan to replace my built in foam-barrier pool with some kind of dish.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just had to take the whole bottom of the tank apart to remove tadpoles (they got into my drainage layer 🙃) and plan to replace my built in foam-barrier pool with some kind of dish.
Ugh, tadpoles in the drainage layer sounds like a nightmare. How long did it take to do that?

·
Super Moderator
3,309 Posts
I love reed frogs and personally think they’re highly under-rated. I keep blue backs as well and personally keep them in a half land/half water setup. Since they are found in riparian zones, I have found they really thrive best with access to a large water area, particularly with pothos or another broad leafed plant overhanging the water.
I don't know much about reed frogs, but I'd like to learn more.

Some dart frogs that are in fact found near water are there because their preferred habitat has been degraded. A quick search on H. madagascariensis shows they're found in a radically wide range of habitat types; do you know whether some of these habitats are occupied because of human encroachment on preferred habitat? Given the degree of enviromental destruction in Madagascar, I suspect the habitat usage of most endemic species is pretty artificial.

Reactions: Kmc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh, tadpoles in the drainage layer sounds like a nightmare. How long did it take to do that?
Taking the substrate, plants, etc out only took a few minutes, but I’m still working on catching all the tads. They’re really tiny, so I’m scared of squishing them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts