Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a group of Heterixalus madagascariensis a few months ago and two of them have begun calling (the other two are much larger so I think they're females). My problem is that they are extremely loud, louder than I ever could have imagined such tiny frogs being. Their favorite time to call is from midnight to dawn, which happens to be my favorite time to sleep. I'm talking about near-continuous, discordant, croaking ALL NIGHT, to the point that I have been having trouble sleeping (I figured I'd get used to it but it's been weeks). As far as I can tell the females have not shown any interest in mating, which is fine by me. They all appear to be healthy, and each of them seems to prefer different areas/plants in the vivarium so they aren't usually in close proximity to each other.

Is there any way to discourage them from calling so much? Could I trick them into thinking mating season is over? How do they even have the energy to call so much when they're only eating a few beetles a night (afaik this and being spooked by me are the only reasons they stop)? Seriously, is it normal for males of this species to be so horny? Other than this they are very sweet frogs so I'd be sad to get rid of them, but I'm really trying to fix my sleep schedule and they aren't helping. If I do end up trying to rehome them, how should I go about it?

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Could you DM me your location?

I dont mind the noise and i love the species.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Oh and i should share that I worked for years managing herp depts in the animal trade after exotics vet science tech work and as a zookeeper. The reptiles were on my string.

I would never take in an animal/s I would allow to change hands. I know what can happen.

I would differ to you as original owner where any progeny would be placed.

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Sorry for insufferable pimpage towards your reed frogs. Frog fever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, in the future I’ll probably go with dart frogs. I’m a night owl and deep sleeper so I didn’t think it would bother me but clearly I’ve underestimated them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts